Home Buying in Rockport>Question Details

Lynn Caison…, Real Estate Pro in Rockport, TX

How much of a down payment is enough to buy a home?

Asked by Lynn Caison Johnson, Rockport, TX Wed Jul 13, 2011

Answers

3
As Don mentioned there are many purchase programs available to include FHA (3.5% down payment), Conventional (as little as 3% down payment with a 660 score minimum and MI). In addition - USDA financing allows up to 103.5% financing in qualified areas for qualified moderate-income families allowing the borrower to finance the closing cost. In addition - NO monthly MI, unlimited seller contributions and unrestricted gift funds. Also - VA financing up to 100% with NO MI. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our offices at 713.528.0333 or visit our web site at http://www.fairway-homeloans.com.
Hi Lynn,

Don is spot on as always. The amount of the downpayment will depend on the type of loan that you use.

VA and USDA (rural homes only) loans require 0 downpayment.
FHA requires 3.5% downpayment
Fannie Mae has a program called Homepath that can require as little as 3% downpayment.
Conventional loans will be 5-10% with insurance, 20% without.

Talking with a lender is the best path to finding the right loan for your particular needs.

Greg
Hello Lynn,

I would team up with an experienced lender in your area... it will greatly help you with questions like this. There are a lot of different programs so the amount varies. The typical FHA purchase requires 3.5% and a conventional loan requires at least 5%. There are other programs like USDA that do offer 100% financing options so you may want to see what areas near by offer these programs as they are really helpful when trying to qualify a client with limited funds for a down payment.

I'm a Realtor and Mortgage Broker in the Austin area so if you ever want to chat about programs or real estate feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com