Home Buying in Niskayuna>Question Details

Paul4444, Home Buyer in Niskayuna, NY

How much more should I be willing to pay for a house in a very good school district? 10%? 20%? 30%?

Asked by Paul4444, Niskayuna, NY Fri Oct 30, 2009

I would say it depends. Right now it you are in a great market as prices are negotiable for buyers. There is no percent. Homes in Niskayuna do typically cost more per square feet than homes in Schenectady.

Please feel free to search homes for sale in Niskayuna and the surrounding areas at http://saratogaspringshomesforsale.net I would be happy to answer any questions for you.
If there is a particular school district that you want to be in then you need to decide how much you are willing to pay in that district. There is not a % that applies across the board local markets will dictate the price real estate agents (contrary to what many of them think) do not dictate the values of properties. IF the people of a certain area prefer to live in part of town that will raise the values in that part of town. There are many things that affect price, but all said and done it all comes down to how much would YOU pay to live in any part of your community.
Old question, I know, but as others have mentioned, some people will see a question, and want to know what the answers are because they have the same question. Living in NY, but on LI, this is a very good question. Because I am not a realtor, I can get away with answering it. It depends on how different the school districts are. Here on Long Island, there are some districts that could be 5 miles apart, or even boardering other districts, and be so different, you will pay double for a house in the good district. Then there are others that do not have quite the same difference, and you could have a much smaller variation, let's say 10-20%.
One of my favorite stories is the one about two houses that my parents looked at when they moved to Long Island in 1954. There was one house that was $2,000 more, but they couldn't afford it. Now, it turns out, the school district that the house is located in is one of the worst on LI, and the one in which they did by is in one of the top districts. The house that was more in 1954, is worth half as much as the one that they bought.
One of the things to consider when deciding on this issue is whether you would send your children to private school if you were in 1 district, as apposed to public school in the other. If you were planning to use private schools anyway, such as if you wanted a religious education for them, you might take the nicer house in the district that is not as good.
Hello Paul,

First , contact the school districts in the area's you wish to move and get the info on the schools. I would not go by what people have "Told you". (Real estate agents should not tell you their opinion on any school district). Then, get "Pre-approved" for a mortgage. Once you have the area you want to live and the amount of money you have to pay for a property, then you can proceed to look in the school district you want for a home in the price range you can afford. Good Luck!

Deborah Conti, Associate Broker, CSR, CBR, SRES, CIREB
Re/Max Park Place - Hundreds of Properties SOLD!
Re/Max Multi-Millions Top Producer
More than a comparable home in a different school district?

If you have an area which you want to take a look at why not have a realtor run some comparables for you so you have a ballpark price range for your desired home in that school district?

You can use the find a pro feature under advice and opinions section on trulia

Sean Dawes