Home Buying in Cape Coral>Question Details

Merideth Ric…, Both Buyer and Seller in Cape Coral, FL

How much more does gulf access add to the price compared to an equal house on freshwater?

Asked by Merideth Richard Shriver, Cape Coral, FL Wed Jun 20, 2012

Also any opinions on the 33993 area?Thanks You Rich

Answers

10
There are a lot of variables that go into it. Some of those include property age, size, condition, and distance to the Gulf. I would only recommend a gulf access home if you are a boater. If you only want a nice view out the back then buy a freshwater home. They are going to be at least a $100k cheaper for a comparable property. Also, if you can qualify it is much cheaper to build a gulf access home right now than it is to buy one. Depending on the lot you choose, you can easily build a 4 bedroom 2000 sq ft pool home in the $250k-$275k range. I highly recommend Bellwether Construction. They have done work for me for over 3 years and I highly recommend Dan Kiesel the owner. Their website is http://www.bellwetherconstservices.com. The best thing to do is to set up a free home search account. That way you can see the same properties on the market that realtors see. You can do that at my website at http://www.tropicalwaterfronthomes.com If you have any more questions feel free to contact me.

Israel Emory
Sun Country Realty
Merideth: Allow yourself to find what you are looking for in a very specific way- for only you know what you are looking for and no-one else. For there are homes that are comparable-in many ways-price, sq. ft etc. then there are homes so different in price, sq-but same sq ft. & amenities. That is why - I say only you can answer this question you propose to this board of realtors.
With this- you can go to http://www.dougsellsfl.com and on the left hand side click: searc area homes and put in exactly what you want & see for yourself what the answer lies. Then you will know which way you will want to go. Have fun searching: Douglas Pelton of Blackburn Realty, Inc.
On average in Cape Coral so far this year, gulf access homes are selling for $195,000 more than homes on freshwater parcels. Here are the 2012 y-t-d summaries:

Gulf access single-family: 520 sold; Avg. selling price $375,305; Avg. $/SF $175
Freshwater single-family: 218 sold; Avg. selling price $180,104; Avg. $/SF $86

While the gulf access numbers are skewed by some very large transactions, there is quite a remarkable difference in gulf access vs. freshwater values.

Good luck with your search!
As others have mentioned, there are lots of variables involved. A new home on freshwater with nice upgrades can sell for more than an older home that has gulf access but takes 45 minutes to get to the open waters.

If you are looking to sell I recommend you have a local professional Realtor® meet with you and provide you with a CMA that will show you recent market activity to homes similar to yours to determine fair market value.

If you are looking to purchase I recommend you find a local professional Realtor® to work as your buyers agent. They can also prepare a CMA to help you determine a fair price to offer and can negotiate on your behalf at no cost to you.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance. As a resident of Cape Coral since 1988 I know the area extremely well and would be more than happy to discuss your real estate needs with you.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE
Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
phone: 239-707-4575
House is off embers on the south west side..Also it is the first waterway from matlacha pass and only 1 bridge
Hello Rich,
Many factors come into play. It depends on the Gulf access,location and home. Its really best to work hand in hand with an agent that knows Gulf access and the area well. We have the ability to really research each home and help compare. I would be happy to help if you are not working with anyone. nancy.dolyle1@comcast.net 239-209-2237

Have a great night,
Nancy
Hi Rich,

It really depends on many factors. It's not easy to give you a difference when considering the location, upgrades, size, etc. There really is no set difference.

I live in 33993 and I love the area. Quiet, yet not too far from civilization. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Frank Glaab
Gulf Gateway Realty, Inc
http://www.ccparadise.com
Hi Rich,

It really depends on the house and how short a trip by boat from the house out to the gulf. If it is sailboat access (meaning no bridges) and a short trip, then it will be more than a home that has 1 or more bridges and is 45 minutes out to the gulf. I have seen a difference of $50k - $100k for gulf access vs. freshwater.

If boating is important to you than gulf access is the way to go. If you are just looking for a nice view from your backyard and don't care about getting to the gulf, then you can get more house for your money on freshwater.

If you need any further info, please feel free to call any time. Hope this helps!

Margie Birch
mbirch1@comcast.net
239-691-1303
Gulf Access homes are roughly $100,000 more than a freshwater home. Of course that also has to do with the condition of the home. If you are looking in the 33993 area code and you want gulf access you want to stay west of Burnt Store Rd and generally speaking, south of Yucatan Pkwy. Any further north of Yucatan makes it an hour long boat trip just to get out of the Cape Coral canal system.
33993 is a desirable gulf access area. Little less money because it is further away from Fort Myers etc. At least 100k added value.
Web Reference: http://www.joesansone.com
Keep in mind there are other variables and it isn't that cut and dry.
Flag Wed Jun 20, 2012