Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Maria, Home Buyer in

How much is the average range per square foot for building a new home in Tampa?

Asked by Maria, Mon Feb 8, 2010

Answers

5
Hi Maria,

First, I'm always amazed at the fact that so many realtors seem to go out of their way NOT to answer the questions asked here on Trulia. One wonders it they actually read them.

Here is link to a useful calculation tool that I used when building my own home:
http://www.building-cost.net/CornersType.asp

Flow their directions and you'll get a rough idea of what your's might cost.

In terms of building cost today, there are several key factors:

1) How many corners? A simple house with 4 external corners costs much less than a more complicated latout.

2) How many floors? A 2 story house is much cheaper per square foot than the same size one story house.

3) Production home or custom home? I live in Harmony, one of Florida's few Green Cretified communities. Recently the developer hired builder to put up 9 green certified homes on spec. Ther properties have all the upgrades today's buyers expect. Using economies of scale and efficient planning the properties were built for an unbelievable $40 to $45 per sq ft. At the other side of the spectrum we have custom builders who still work the old classical way and don't understand how it's possible to put up a home for under $150 to $200 a sq ft.

Spend plenty of time interviewing builders on this subject. Remember that for the most part your "builder" is really just your general contractor. Builders in a given area often use exactly the same subs of a lot of the jobs. You want a builder/general contractor who is a good planner and scheduler. That will save you the most money on the project without any sacrifice in quality.

Best wishes on your building project. My wife and I totally enjoyed ours.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
It really depends on the finishes you can build for $90-$175 per square foot on average but can certainly go much higher. And you'll need to also take into consideration the cost of the lot, impact fees ect. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://YourTampaHome.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 8, 2010
It varies greatly by builder, what part of Tampa and what type of home. I've sold new construction homes as a buyer's agent and saved my client's up to $30,000 off the asking price of the builder. Call me and I'd be happy to send you some information about new construction homes in your price range.

Liane Jamason, Realtor
813-486-4997
How you do that ?
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
Maria,

I have sold new homes anywhere from $75 to $250 per sq. ft. Location and builder is a big factor in pricing. Of course, South Tampa dictates the higher pricing. Southeastern Hillsborough county and Hernando county are in the lower per sq. ft. range. There are some lots available thruout the Tampa area. In addition, there are still some good builders available willing to build on them. Financing is getting tougher as a couple of the major banks that did new construction loans are no longer doing them because of the risk. Let us know if we can help you.

Bill Szydlowski
The Szydlowski Team
Future Home Realty
813-323-4443
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com
What risk they see ?
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
Prices do vary and the average depends on how high end you want the home to be.. I have sold many new homes around $70 a foot but I have sold a few in last few months up to $125 a foot.

I specialize in helping home buyers find new construction homes and the homes on my website
http://www.NewHomesMichael.com would be a good source to determine prices per squarefoot in different areas of Tampa Bay.. everyhome on the site is a new construction home.

Let me know if you have any further questions