Home Buying in Vancouver>Question Details

jovi-b, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

How much does it normally cost to have an entire heating system installed in a house? In a home that used to have baseboard heaters for example.

Asked by jovi-b, Portland, OR Tue Feb 19, 2013

Answers

15
If you have no ducts the new ductless systems are nice, a good option to heating and cooling and work well.

Thank you
Troy Jensen, broker
360-852-7145
Professional Realty Srvc of WA
It depends what you are getting and how big the house is. I live in a little apartment, so that would be much less than a home. What is the square footage?

Alena | http://www.airquipheating.com/Heating.aspx
I agree that the cost will depend on a couple of different things. Different units have different prices and so do different companies. I hope you can get it taken care of soon!

Amber | http://www.ultrahome.ca
Flag Fri Jul 25, 2014
I agree. That will definitely factor into the price. It also depends on what your home currently has as far as heating systems go. If it needs ducts it could probably get more pricey.
Gary Puntman | http://www.jandsheatingandair.ca/en/services.html
Flag Thu Jul 24, 2014
So are you saying you have no duct work at all? This is achievable through some new technology. However you can have a system installed. There are lots of variables that will depend on the house but you can say a min of 5K and upward. If you call me and get me some specifics I can get you some better numbers. Have a great day!
It definitely depends on the type of furnace and how old it is. Heating can get expensive very quickly if your furnace is old or not functioning properly. I would suggest that you check that out first before making any decisions.
Your best bet is probably to look for quotes from local contractors in the area you want the work done. I have a friend in Winnipeg looking to do the same thing.
Replacing anything that extensive will probably be expensive, especially if you have a cheap heating system right now. But upgrading it will be worth the cost when it lasts longer and runs better.
Like was said, call a heating specialist for ideas. They can give you quotes, as well as ideas for what kind of heating system will work best for you and your house.
I was wondering how much it would be just to have heating repair in Bolingbrook IL? It would be great if someone could answer this for me.
jovi-b,
Please contact a local heating a/c system professional in your area and ask if they provide free estimates. As real estate professionals, we are not qualified to give you an estimate of what your costs may be.
If your home has a sufficiently open floor plan, ductless heat-pump is the way to go, especially here in NW. These units have the highest efficiency and are utilizing a cutting edge technology. You may even get a tax rebate (check with your utility company). They are quiet and powerful.

Market leaders are Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, and LG (my personal favorite).

Ductless Heat-pumps are based on a mature technology and are quite popular in Asia and Europe, but relatively new in US. If you are handy, you might be able to install it yourself (get a permit though).

And not to forget: A/C function and air filtration is built in!

You can get a good deal by buying online versus from contractor. Google is your best friend here.
If you are thinking of a huge remodeling job installing a complete heating and duct system, I would first of all suggest that you consider how long you expect to live in that home, whether the comps of the neighborhood would get you the sale price you would need to recoup the investment, and what is the overall condition of your house if it needed to be sold for unexpected reasons. You might want to consider talking to a realtor about values for the improvement. Make sure the job is getting bids from licensed contractors and permits to show if you sell the house in the future.
It really depends on the style of home you have. If it's one story or two, is there a basement, attic, if it's two stories is there room to run duct work from basement / crawl to the attic, if two floors do you want two different systems creating a more comfortable environment. If I were you I would call Lenny at All About Air in Vancouver. He has been doing this for years and years. He has a great reputation as well. Here is their site, its a family business. http://www.allaboutairhvac.com/ . The other question to ask is what kind of indoor air quality filters do they put on their equipment. Indoor air quality is very important when running a forced air system.
I agree with Kary's answer. There are many issues if you are planning to put in some kind of central heating system, including the depth of the crawl space and room in the attic for
ductwork, whether the house is one level or more, and so forth. Your agent should be able to help you get bids.

Be sure to check with Clark PUD, 360-992-3000, about their ductless heat pump program. This
is being partly subsidized by PUD right now, and there is also a tax credit.. It's not cheap, but
it is currently the most efficient heating and cooling system available.

Janine
Jovi

Kary is right on, Cadet heaters are about 120.00 each for wall heat but a forced air furnace with duct work you are between 5-10k depending on the home. Variables include one and two level homes and size.

Troy Jensen, Buyers Agent
Professional Realty Srvc of WA
360-852-7145
Replacing baseboard heaters is pretty cheap, around $100 a unit depending on the size. You can check out Lowes or HD for pricing.

If you're talking about installing a whole house heating system in a house that has baseboard heaters, that could be very expensive, and would probably easily exceed $5,000 if not $10,000. You'd need to get bids because it would be entirely dependent on the house and the type of system you were going to install.