William, Home Buyer in Stamford, CT

How much does it cost to remove/fill in a pool?

Asked by William, Stamford, CT Wed Feb 18, 2009

I'm looking at houses in the Westover area and some of them I've liked except for the fact it has a pool and in wanting to put a bid on the house I want to subtract the cost of removing the pool.

Answers

5
There are many variables: size of pool, type of construction, equipment access, etc. that will impact this cost.

Depending on you plan for future use of the pool location and local codes, it may be most cost effective to perform a burial as opposed to a removal....just saying?

Prices will vary from each contractor so we would recommend getting a couple of detailed estimates.
As mentioned in a previous answer below, there are a number of factors that will determine the cost. The contractor will also need to assess how accessible the machinery is to the job site.

We dealt with this a few years ago on a listing and the cost was under $10,000 based on all the factors involved. It would be wise to check with the Government Center on permit requirements. This is not a difficult process and the contractor you hire can also take care of this.

Good luck with the house and hope this helps with the decision unless you bought the house by now!
I have an excellent and reputable contractor in Stamford. I can set up a FREE quote for you, as the cost will vary and depend on the size, accessibility, etc. :)
You need to be extremely careful if you want to fill in a pool, suggest speaking to all contractors for opinions and etc. there is plumbing issues, sink hole and much more.

Many homes are valued higher with pool now in residential market families have limited budgets for travel seeking backyard as an escape with entertainment
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
It depends on a lot of factors. The size of the pool, width & depth. If the pool is concrete or gunite and / or has concrete surrounding the pool, then then can be used to fill in the pool. Usually fill dirt and / or stone will needed to be bought and brought on-site. The more rock the better, just fill dirt will settle over time.

There also may be some zoning laws that are of concern. Check with your local zoning board.

Consult with a general contractor in your area to get a better idea.