toomsdstephe…, Home Buyer in Katy, TX

How much does it cost to cut a opening in a wall that separates 2 rooms for a more open feel?

Asked by toomsdstephens, Katy, TX Wed Jan 2, 2013

This will primarily depend on whether the wall is weight bearing or not. You might also have to add or modify some foundation supports.

Seek the advice of a licensed General contractor in your area.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
I do a lot of my own construction projects and the answer is it depends:

1. Are you going to pull permits?
2. Is the wall load bearing or not?

If you're only going to cut an opening, even if the wall is load bearing it shouldn't be a big deal, they just put a header in. Shouldn't cost more than a few $K finished.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
This is like asking; how long is a piece of wood?
You need to contact some contractors; and they would have to see the wall.
There are too many variables.
I wouldn't trust anyone who would guess.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
I have a lot of experience with this as I have done a number of my own remodeling projects, most recently opening a wall up for just this purpose. Any estimates given without knowing whether or not it's a load bearing wall, whether you simply wanted to cut a window like opening in the wall, or open floor to ceiling is not worth much.

That said, if you want to keep costs down and get more light and open feeling the best way is to cut an opening like a window because all you need do is add an extra stud and a header, but keep in mind it could get expensive if you do with permits because they'll likely want an engineer involved.. If you want a real estimate, contact some local contractors - local agents should be able to give you referrals - and get some real world bids.

You might also open a hole in the sheet rock from one side so the contractors can see what's going on underneath.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
King Realty Group

DRE# 01384425
No one can give you the estimate of the costs online.

Is their electrical in the wall that needs to be moved?
Is their plumbing in the wall that needs to be moved?
Is the wall a low bearing wall or not?

Based on this only a contractor can give you an estimate.

Have a great day;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit & Mortgage Consultant of
Everlasting Credit
Ex-Mortgage Broker of more than 10 years
A licensed contractor can only make that estimate for you. Be sure to get multiple bids to give yourself options.
I agree with Ron, Lance and Steve. As a general contractor I can tell you first hand that I would get the advice of a licensed contractor who specializes in remodeling. Taking anyone's estimate over the phone or online without them actually doing a field inspection would be a big disservice to you.

You would always have to install a header no matter what and as Steve pointed out if it's a load bearing wall you may have to reinforce under with a couple of piers to counter act the point loads on both sides of the opening if it's a raised floor as it would interrupt the uniform displacement of the continual load.

If it's a slab on grade you could run the risk of cracking the slab if it's a load bearing wall so further engineering may be needed to calc out the structural dynamics. I've seen too many folks try to piece meal improvements through to save a buck or two only to have it end up costing so much more in the long run. Hope this helps.
$1700 Material and labor
$ 2435.87 would be my best estimate...