Home Buying in Hawaii County>Question Details

Laura Mcguin…, Home Buyer in Midwest City, OK

How much does it cost to build a 3500 sq ft house?

Asked by Laura Mcguinness, Midwest City, OK Wed Aug 31, 2011

Wanting to build our life long home in Hawaii County. I want to build a 3000 - 3500 sq ft home. Probably a villa style. I only want to spend about 50k or less on land. We will be spending our life savings on the house

How much will the house itself cost?

Are materials more expensive in Hawaii?

Answers

3
Based upon your budget for land, 50K or less, you are almost surely going to be looking at the East side of Hawaii County if you are building. In Hawaiian Paradise Park, for example, current asking prices on 1 acre lots are from 20 to 50K. If you are hiring a contractor to build your home it may end up costing more than the current market value of a similar home. There is a large inventory of homes for sale in that area. You may find an existing home that you like, save money and avoid all of the headaches of building in Hawaii. I would start by deciding on the area that you would like to live in and see if it makes sense based on land cost, building costs vs. existing homes. I would be happy to provide more information about the Kona district including listings and neigborhood videos if you are interested.
Rich Bosselmann
(808) 345-5085
richbosselmann@gmail.com
350,000.00 materials are more expensive in Hawaii.
Hi Laura,

Here's on that is 2892 SF that is already built!
http://www.hawaiihome.biz/152811-opakapaka-st-pahoa-hilo-4-b…

My client and seller is an architect. He built the home himself. If you would like more information, let me know. This is not a "typical" home however. It's very customized. I have a list of two pages of features he put into the place including floating slab, hurricane/electricity pole, stacked doors, travertine floors and bathrooms, solar, Jen-Air range. 1228 SF lanai with wood deck around entire 2nd floor, 21 skylights, 90 year roof. 2 car garage, landscaped w/60 kinds of plants.

Aloha,

Frank Diaz
(RA) MBA, e-PRO, REALTOR®
East Oahu Realty
808.723.0900 cell
808.791.2277 direct
888.433.1931 fax
Web Reference: http://hawaiihome.biz/