Home Buying in Walnut Creek>Question Details

Mary, Home Buyer in Martinez, CA

How much does a school district affect property values?

Asked by Mary, Martinez, CA Sun Jun 8, 2008

I understand that there is an effort to transfer some schools from Mt. Diablo Unified School District to Walnut Creek and Acalanes Union High School districts. I am looking for a single-family property in Walnut Creek and was weighing the two school districts. I was wondering if anyone thought the transfer would be successful, and if so, would it increase property values in the areas of Walnut Creek that would be transferred. I am wondering about both the Northgate area and Northwest Walnut Creek (although I am looking at all areas of Walnut Creek). Any information you could provide would be helpful.

Answers

3
Yes, good school districts affect property values greatly. Often times, a lot of homes are purchased by first time home buyers and newlyweds...which equals "growing families." Home buyers with growing families are focused in on finding the best school district for their child/rens education. Future home buyers will consider not purchasing a home that they really like if the school systems are poor.

If you have a home in an area with good, quality schools you're in good shape!
School districts do affect property values because when it comes to buying a house, many people are looking for good schools for their children to attend. Although Mt. Diablo School District has its issues, the schools in the Northgate area of Walnut Creek are still high performing schools with parents who support the education system. (Valle Verde, Walnut Acres, Stanley Middle School, and Northgate High)

The Northgate schools are already desirable and high caliber, and if switched into Walnut Creek and Acalanes school districts I'm not sure how much more value that would add to your home. Northgate homes already command higher prices than anywhere else in the Mt Diablo school district.
Mary - if you can buy into a neighborhood BEFORE the switch to a better school district is made, that could turn out to be a great investment. There are significant differences (10% or more) between similar homes in neighboring school districts, when one is considered better than the other. (Even when it's just perception.) It's not the only factor, but it's critical.
Look at Dublin v. Pleasanton schools, Antioch v. Brentwood schools or parts of Castro Valley that fall into the Hayward school district. There are examples of it all over the Bay Area. Even within a disctrict - look at the premium that homes in the "Mission" district in Fremont get over the neighboring schools (Irvington) in the FUSD.
So yes, it has an impact. Find yourself a knowledgable Walnut Creek agent who can show you the numbers.