Home Buying in Dexter>Question Details

Steve Stewart, Home Buyer in Big Rapids, MI

How much are property taxes in this area?

Asked by Steve Stewart, Big Rapids, MI Tue Jan 26, 2010

Answers

5
A mill equals $1. per thousand dollars of your home value. This area costs approx 13. to 18. per thousand. Here in Michigan you are only taxed on 1/2 half of your value. Compared to the surrounding areas you can expect lower taxes in the Dexter area. One of the many reasons we are so popular. For more info contact me at 734 329-4128, danmalaski@realestatone.com or visit my web danmalaski.realestateone.com . I can answer any real estate questions you have.
Well, all the answers below are incomplete or vague, so I'll try (as someone who is not an agent) to give a little more clear info.

Understand how property taxes work in Michigan: If you live in a CITY, you pay taxes to the city, schools (state), miscellaneous local entities, and county. If you live in a TOWNSHIP, you pay taxes to the township, schools (state), miscellaneous local entities, and county. If you live in a VILLAGE, you are still considered part of the township, so you pay taxes to the village, township, schools (state), miscellaneous local entities, and county. Villages and cities can levy up to approximately 20 mills (for different areas), regular townships can levy something like 1 mill for operating and people can vote on millages for other things (like additional taxes for public safety, etc.), and I think charter townships can levy up to 5 mills. School taxes are paid to the state and are flat, except for debt for building (I think cappped at 8.5 mills) and stuff like intermediate school districts. If a residence is not your main residence or a property is commercial, there is an additional school tax (I think 12 mills, not sure) that is added. If you have a Homestead Exemption (you live there), you do not have to pay that tax.

For the "Dexter area" you have to figure where you live. The Village of Dexter is primarily in Scio Township. A portion of the Village is in Webster Township. Dexter Township and Lima Township are completely separate from Dexter Village. Here's a quick breakdown of the taxes in each municipality, if you are in the Dexter School District, from the 2009 report:

Dexter Village, Scio Township - 30.9665 + 13.5562 = 44.5227
Dexter Village, Webster Township - 46.6864
Scio Township - 30.9665
Webster Township - 33.1302
Dexter Township - 33.3005
Lima Township - 30.3396

You can get the apportionment report from Washtenaw County that shows all the taxes in all municipalities in Washtenaw here: http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/departments/equalizatio… Summary of total taxes starts on page 18 of 20 in the report.
Don,

I hope the information provided answered your questions. If not, please let me know at the contact information below and I would be happy to help get you the answers you need.

God Bless,

Doug Beiswanger
Agent
Good Earth Real Estate LLC
517-990-3221
Don,
This is for a home with SEV = $100,000.
General Information for 2009 Village

Taxable Value: $100,000 State Equalized Value: $100,000
Property Class: 401

Base Tax: $1,355.62

Tax Bill Breakdown for 2009 Village
Taxing Authority Millage Rate
OPERATING 9.815100 $981.51
STREETS 2.978600 $297.86
GO BOND 0.762500 $76.25
Totals: 13.556200

Let me know if you need for a specific address or need any assistance in purchasing a new home.
Sam
734-837-1101
Property taxes range from approx $22.00 to $60.00 per thousand of taxable Value. The City of Ypsilanti is the highest and Salem Township with Northville Schools is the lowest. If the property is not your "principle residence" the rates are higher.

Taxes are complicated but I am happy to help explain them in detail at 734 649-2710 or david@davidwallner.com