Home Buying in Patterson>Question Details

Donnamv, Home Buyer in Patterson, CA

How many years do you have to pay mello roos tax on homes built between 2001 - 2004?

Asked by Donnamv, Patterson, CA Wed Nov 18, 2009

My real estate lady told me that mello roose taxes are for first 10 years of the property. Is that correct? If the house was built in 2002 would the mello roose tax be done by 2012?

The best person to ask is the finance director at Patterson City Hall. i went there recently 3/26/13 and I was told by the perons at the front desk it is a 50 year note. I bought my house 5 years ago, it was occupied by the previous owner for two years. Total of 7 years Mello Roos tax payment of $250 a month , according to City of Patterson beginning balance was $29,456.00 now my pay off balance is $27,085.00. Balance has only gone down $2000 + . Where the %$#& did the rest of my money go? . Be smart, pay off your Mello Roos upfront on house purchase or do not buy a house in Patterson California. There is houses with no Mello Roos in Patterson, but you have to look hard.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
How many left for paying Mello Roose if I buy the 4300-4310 Tradewinds Drive, Oxnard, CA
In Patterson the mello roos tax is paid for 30 years. However, the mello roos can be paid off in full, which can be a nice selling incentive for prospecting buyers.
Mello Roos Tax is used to pay back bonds that were used to build streets, water, sewage, drainage, electricity, infrastructure, schools, parks and police protection to newly developed areas. The tax can be no longer than it takes to pay back the bonds. This being said, each development can be different. By law the tax can't exceed 40 years. Your realtor can advise you on this issue. I hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 21, 2014
If I move (as a senior citizen) do I take my tax rate & get out of having to pay having to pay mello roos on a new home?
Mello roos are typically CFD bonds that mature at different intervals. Most common is a 30 year term. The information is public and can be accessed at your county tax assesors website. See link. You should be able to get the break down of the taxes including the contact # for the administrator who can tell you how long the term is.
Hi Donnamv:

Jes is correct. It really does depend in which community your home is located. No Mello Roos tax - that I know of - just drops off after 10 years have past by default. For instance the Mello Roos tax for homes in Patterson Gardens is scheduled to be levied until 2050! WOW!

There are a couple of ways to get this information:
1) You should be able to see the details of the Special Assessment charges on your property tax bill. Your property tax bill will show property taxes and local taxes for schools, fire dept, lighting etc (Mello Roos included). There may (or may not) be a telephone number next to the Mello Roos tax. If there is, then call; the reps will be able to help you even send you additional documentation.

2) If not no phone number, then you could also call Stanisluas County's give them your address or parcel number (if you have it - this is on your property tax bill as well) and see if they can help. Here is their website with contact information: http://www.co.stanislaus.ca.us/tr-tax/property-taxes.shtm

3) Last option would be to dig out the Natural Hazard Disclosure statement that you received when you purchased the home. This would detail the Special Assessment taxes that are on top of your property tax bill. I always review this with my buyers and sellers during close of escrow.

Hope this helps.
Hi Donnamv,
It all depends on the community and when the mello roos mature.
Some mello roos are up to 30 years.
Check with your local Realtor®.

Jes Sierra, B.Sc.
Century 21 Beachside Realtors®
Chino Hills, CA