Mikey, Home Buyer in Wisconsin

How many subdivisions are there in the area borded by Hwy M on the west, McKee Rd to the north, and Verona?

Asked by Mikey, Wisconsin Mon Jun 23, 2008

Rd on the east and south? How many sfh are there in these subdvisions and how many of these sfh are currently for sale?

Answers

8
RKB’s answer
Thanks for the feedback, Mikey. I guess everybody has their own tastes. We liked the back yard, and with the landscaping berm you don't even know there is a road back there. The lot cost us more than other lots in the neighborhood, but we thought the extra money was worth it. It's double the size of other lots, and we don't need to maintain the back 150' - the homeowners association takes care of it. So it's a large yard with little maintenance. Sure, we still have neighbors close on either side, but we don't look out our back door into our neighbors' house, it's more private. That's why our house cost us more than an almost identical house nearby. When we were first looking at the neighborhood, we fell in love with a house with the same floor plan that was priced significantly less, but it had condos in the backyard. That didn't appeal to us. But now that we are trying to resell, it sounds like the back yard is a detriment. For some reason buyers don't seem to like it.

Plus, we paid to have a lot of extras put into the house - higher ceilings and windows in the basement, higher quality appliances and fixtures, upgrades to the master bath, higher quality flooring, etc. And put a lot of money into landscaping and finishing the basement. But now it appears that all of that was a waste, because it doesn't add any value whatsoever. Buyers don't seem to see the difference.

By the way, if you are considering a house in one of these neighborhoods, I'd steer away from the houses that have the carriage lanes and garages in back. There have been a lot of maintenance issues with the carriage lanes - snow plowing, trash pick up, etc. At the homeowners association meetings, there are constant complaints from the owners that have the carriage lanes.

Thanks again, and good luck with your hunt.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 26, 2008
Hey Mikey~
Many times when someone wants irrelevant information, it is because they are dancing around the issue of buying a house. They want to but they are afraid to commit. So they ask questions like yours, the compare assessments, they ponder trends, mortgage rates, on and on. So I ask you this: What would be a good number of subdivisions? The number of houses for sale is also an irrelevant number as long as there is ONE. What about houses that were listed and now expired without a sale? What about houses that are on the verge of foreclosure but not listed? What about people who put up a hand-lettered sign "For Slae By Owner" but take it down for the garage sale, Fourth of July, weekend at the lake? How about the length of time the houses have been on the market? Price adjustments? As long as you gather information, you won't buy a house. Are you doing a school report or do you want to become a homeowner?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 4, 2008
Hereare the maps that will give you your answers.

Madison Info link:

https://www.cityofmadison.com/neighborhoods/profile/sw.html

Verona Info link:

http://www.ci.verona.wi.us/vertical/Sites/%7BCA6B38D7-05DE-4…

Also, if you just go with http://www.ci.verona.wi.us for the verona site and look to the left and click on the site map, you can get some good info on the planned build up for the verona market.
RKB - Actually, I like your listing, the main problem being the streets both front and back (I looked at one of your questions and the listing sounded really, really familiar).

The problem I see is you can buy an almost identical new house for 229K very close to you. There are just a lot of houses in the area for sale in your price range.

Technically, the number of subdivisions do not matter - I've just always had a hunch Veridian arbritarily created 5 block by 5 block subdivisions for adversing purposes. It looks like many are under the same overall covenant, so the whole area might just as well be one subdvision. Strangely, no realtor seems able to answer either.

FWIW I like your agent and he has always struck me as very truthful and above-board.
Hi Mikey,

I don't have the answer to your specific question, but I do have a home in the area you describe, in Veridian's Heather Glen neigborhood. It is a good location, safe, quiet, with convenient access to shopping, dining, Beltline, bus routes, etc. Just curious... if you are looking to buy a home, why does the number of subdivisions matter? I understand why you want to know the density of SFHs, and why you would want to know how many of them are for sale. As a seller in this area, I'm interested in what buyers are looking for. I'd appreciate your input.
Mike E -

Sorry, you are not quite correct with your assumption. I am not a realtor, merely an amateur - but an informed consumer.

Just respectfully curious as to why you feel I am a "Janesville Realtor with all the answers?"
For a Janesville Realtor with all the answers, this question doesn't seem like one you should have trouble with.
Billy,

Do you have any actual answers to my questions regarding number of single family homes and number for sale?

Are you volunteering to post the answers to the questions you raised?