Home Buying in Omaha>Question Details

Jillmfrench, Home Buyer in Omaha, NE

How many homes is it acceptable to look at before buying?

Asked by Jillmfrench, Omaha, NE Fri Mar 22, 2013

We are interested in a specific area but there are no listings there at this time. We have been looking at houses outside the area but have not liked any of them. We have also been looking for 3 months. Our real estate agent is very nice about showing us the homes but Im worried he will start to get annoyed because no house feels right to me unless it is in the school area we want.

Answers

7
If school district is a deal breaker only look in that school district. Don't waste time looking at other homes in other areas. Ask what your realtor is doing to find you the home in the area you are looking for and be patient but READY. Remember there are others looking in the same area as you. When a home comes on the market in the area you want don't be surprised if you have to be aggressive to get it.
Agreed with below. Do not worry about "how many" houses you are looking at. There is no "magic" number as far as "by when" you should have found something. Inventory is low, and because of this the "good ones" go fast.

I'll also add - an agent's job isn't simply to set you up in the MLS, let you pick houses, and open the doors for you. It's also to honestly tell you if you are out of touch with what you "want" and "what you can afford". If you continue to look and can't find anything, you might have to make some tough compromises. I'm assuming that since school district won't be one you are willing to compromise on - you might have to start considering a smaller house, one without a basement, one with less bedrooms, etc. etc. etc.

Often, while waiting for "the deal of century" and "the one" - you miss out on the "deal of the decade" when the first two were never going be available anyway (if that makes sense).

The bottom line? Sit down with your agent and have an honest conversation. Tap into his expertise of the area and make sure you aren't searching for something that doesn't, and will never, exist.
As long as you have provided the agent with a pre-approval, do not stress about how often you request looking at homes, that is what she/he is there for.

I have showed particular clients 30+ homes in a 1 month time span, and you know, eventually they picked one. It pays off for us, regardless of the leg work, but that is what we are here for.

If you have not provided this agent with a pre-approval letter though, I imagine that they will not be as willing to take you out to see as many homes, without at least knowing if you would qualify for the homes in question.
Hello Jillmfrench
I just wanted to inform you that it is customary to consider 5 homes, look at 3, then select 1. The home buying process is a process of elimination not selection. Call me on my cell at 402-885-3781, or office line at NP Dodge Real Estate Sales, Inc 402-731-5008. We can begin the process of eliminating the neighborhoods and homes you don't want and zero in on the homes you do want. You can also e-mail me at egale@npdodge.com
Jill,

Since your home will likely be your largest investment you should see as many homes as it takes. Not only is it an investment it is also where you will live so it should meet your needs.

If there are currently no listings that meet your needs maybe try looking at those not currently listed. My team has a system to help find buyers the perfect home, even when it is not currently listed for sale. Maybe your agent has a similar program?

-Kyle Schulze
402-699-2220
Our inventory of homes is at its lowest point in 7 years and I'm sure your agent is well aware of this. If you want to wait for a home in the school area, stop looking at homes that won't work. Be patient. Let your agent know that you want to wait for the right house. I am sure he or she will appreciate your candor and the fact that you don't want to waste his or her time looking at homes you won't buy. You might ask your agent to identify agents who are known for listing homes in the area you want. Ask him or her to contact those agents on your behalf to ask for a heads up when a new listing is coming on the market. Most important, when the right house does come up, use the agent who has patiently shown you houses for 3 months.
The purchase of your home is one of the largest purchases you will ever make. So, do not worry about taking your time to find just the right house. Your real estate agent is working for you. As long as you have been upfront with exactly what you are looking for, then your agent should not get annoyed.

They are probably frustrated that they cannot find you a good home. Maybe they are even hoping you will not get annoyed with them.

Continue to work together and you will find the right home. You could look at FSBO's, many will accept are realtor's offer and pay 3% commission to them.