Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

jeff, Real Estate Pro in Phoenix, AZ

How long the empty lots next to my house can stay?

Asked by jeff, Phoenix, AZ Tue Aug 21, 2012

I purchased a home recently in Phoenix. It is a new community and my house was built in year 2008, but the builder left or sold many empty lots in the community. The lots on my house's back and left are empty and become open field. I thought there is a law requires the finished lot has to build a house within a period of time. Can you tell how long the empty lots can stay before the State government will take them or fine the lot owners?
Thank you.

Answers

1
I have not heard of any state law that requires land owners to build. As long as the taxes are paid, county would not require building. The market conditions have kept building new homes slow. However, we have seen a significant increase in the past few month. A builder may start something in the near future.

At the city level, there may be some requirements under zoning. Check with your city zoning department.

If there are other issues such as dust from the lots, there may be county violations in that case. If that is an issue, contact Maricopa County (if in Maricopa) Air Quality Department. Also, the HOA may have certain requirements to maintaining property.