Home Buying in Blacklick>Question Details

Dana Davis, Home Buyer in Blacklick, OH

How long is too long to wait for my realtor to get back to me with information about homes I'm interested in?

Asked by Dana Davis, Blacklick, OH Wed Oct 5, 2011

We are currently looking for a new home, decided to to a lease purchase and have been looking on-line for properties. After finding a few that we were interested in, we decided it was time to hire a realtor so that we could get additional support, information, request showings and such. We found who we thought was the right person from a reputable firm. They asked what our specific needs were, I gave them our financial requirements, house size, school district needs, etc.. I also gave the addresses of at least 5 properties that were listed as available, one in particular that meets ALL of our needs and our price range. Our realtor got all this info from me over a week ago and we have not heard anything from them at all. I am planning on calling today but wanted to know am I expecting too much too soon? How long is too long to wait? How long does it take to gather this type of information?

Answers

13
Hi Dana,

Find another agent. A good Realtor will get back to you in a timely manner. There is no excuse for any Realtor or other real estate professional not to return a call within a week. I make it a practice to get back to all messages within 24-48 hours. There are plenty of Realtors out there who would appreciate your business and value your time. I suggest you start interviewing other Realtors until you find someone you really want to work with.

Good Luck.

Larry Lichtman
REALTOR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 14, 2012
Same day or as soon as possible once the answers have been obtained. Either way you should be kept up to date and informed with progress. http://www.OgdenValleyRealty.com 801-745-4663
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 5, 2011
Hello. I currently have a house listed at 7724 Waggoner Chase Blvd. Blacklick, OH 43004 for $150,000. The owner is willing to enter into a lease to purchase contract. Monthly rent will be $1,100 per month. If this is of interest to you, please have your realtor call 614-939-0808 to schedule a showing of this property.
I ALWAYS make it a practice of getting back with my clients within 24 hrs at the latest. Even if I can't answer their specific question or request right away, I'll let them know I'm working on it and when I will get back with them. If its a simple request or question, no less than 2 hrs. period.
All the more reason the agent should have gotten back to you right away.
>>I say call Teresa......she sounds like she would appreciate your business and do the work required in a timely fashion :O)

Or you could call James or Rick and Robin..... :O

FYI, be advised that lease-options can be difficult and complicated. Many agents don't know how to do them. Also, regardless of who you pick, anybody can and should give you faster service than your current agent.
The answer varies, but 24-48 hours should be sufficient for basic information--a complete listing, for instance, and scheduled showings. If you're looking for more complete information--for instance, a CMA (competitive market analysis) on each of the homes, it could take longer. But not a week.

One thing that might be involved is that you say you were looking for a lease-purchase. Were the properties you found listed as lease-purchases? Or were they properties for sale or for rent? Some owners are willing to do lease-purchases. Others aren't. Some, for various reasons, can't afford to. Add to that: your agent needs to be able to explain the advantages of lease-purchases to sellers/landlords. There are a whole bunch of objections to them. Some are valid; many aren't. But some agents don't know enough about them to answer the objections.

So: Call up your agent, as you planned to do. Don't be confrontational, but do ask what the status of your requests are. If the response isn't fully to your liking, you might consider looking for another agent who might be able to serve you better.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I say call Teresa......she sounds like she would appreciate your business and do the work required in a timely fashion :O)
You are certainly not expecting to much and honestly I wouldn't bother calling them back I would find someone who wants your business and will work for you. Of course I might agree that they do not want to work with a lease purchase buyer, but then they should have been upfront and told you this from that begiining before taking all your information.
Web Reference: http://www.lisacannata.com
Ideally, your Realtor should get back to you right away, but, depending on schedules, should at least get back to you by the end of the day. It should just take a few minutes to gather the information on the listings. Then it could take an additional amount of time to confirm with all the sellers all the appointments for the showings. If it has been over a week, I would think that perhaps they are not interested in helping.

Feel free to contact me to discuss your options in purchasing as well as going over these homes you have selected. I promise you fast service. You can reach me at 614-565-8161 or Teresa@TeresaButler.com
Web Reference: http://TeresaButler.com
Rick and Robin, 4 of the homes were listed as lease/lease option or said "willing to consider lease option" That's why I wanted to start with those specifically. When I did an inquiry through Trulia on the listing I want the most, I got a response asking did I have a realtor (from Coldwell Banker) that's what prompted me to seek out a realtor in the first place, so that I could have an advocate who could get answers to my questions.
In my opinion, a reputable agent should get back to his/her client the same day. In your situation, I'm guessing that your agent does not want to work with a buyer doing a lease/purchase. There are very few homeowners who are selling their property who can afford to do a lease/purchase. Unless the house is being advertised as a rental or lease/purchase, you would be wasting your time.

Your first step should be to talk to a lender as there are different loan options that might afford you to do an out right purchase. Let me know if you need a recommendation.
Dana, If I have the information I need I can usually get info to my clients by the next day. If I can't, I'll let them know. However, maybe your Realtor is only searching for lease-purchase homes for you? That is a little harder to do and it takes longer. Either way, your Realtor should still be in touch with you and let you know what's going on. Considering you actually gave (5) addresses your Realtor should have gotten back to you on at least those by now.

Jim