Home Buying in Spring>Question Details

Jo'cara, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

How likely is it to find a house in Spring that is not apart of an HOA community?

Asked by Jo'cara, Houston, TX Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

4
Bottom line: almost all desirable neighborhoods in the Houston Metropolitan area have an HOA. There is a reason for that. The Houston area does not have zoning, and therefore no zoning laws that might otherwise protect the character of the neighborhood. Your neighbor can build a 30 story building across the fence from your backyard. Over the years developers, the guys that develop the land for the subdivisions, establish Restrictive Covenants that govern what you can do with your property, an architectural control committee (as part of the HOA they also establish), and how the exterior of your property must be maintained or what else can be built on your land--or in other land in the neighborhood. For the most part this works well and protects your housing investment. The HOA fee is used for the maintenance of the common area of the subdivision.

I am a director of our HOA and on the landscaping and architectural control committees. We had a meeting last night to discuss adding more landscaping to one of our entries, including a number of Crepe Myrtles. The HOA fee pays for that, the irrigation bill for the entries, the grass cutting, trimming of the Crepe Myrtles and other entry and median landscaping, and provides colorful annuals to brighten the subdivision entrance . It makes our neighborhood look great and enhances our housing investment. In some subdivisions there might also be pool, tennis court or other amenity fees included in the HOA. Our subdivision has those amenities available on an option basis (you can take them or not take them) and the fee for that is collected by the water district, which also collects for water, sewer and trash.

BTW if you haven't heard about the Houston area water bills I will need to brief you on that. They can be high, very high or maybe not. The decision for which house you are interested in might be impacted by those costs.

Hope this helps. You need to get pre-approved for a mortgage now!!!! The Houston housing market is hot and no seller will consider your offer without your being pre-approved. Not pre-qualified, that is worthless.

Give me a call at 281.415.4004 (voice and text).

Frank Previte
RE Agent and RMLO #130360
To do a pre-search for a Spring house go to http://www.inside610properties.com
To start mortgage pre-approval go to http://www.texasmortgagedoc.com
It all depends on what you are looking for. Most subdivisions in Spring do belong to HOA's however there are quite a few older homes that do not, however the price will definitely be different than the price of a home that belongs to a HOA.

Call me if you have any more questions or if you need a no-obligation consultation...

Thank you and God Bless,

Nazario Trujillo
CDPE, REO/BPO Certified
TAHS, SFR, R. E. Consultant/Realtor
SIS Group, LLC
Fax: 281-907-0199
E-mail: naztrujillo@sbcglobal.net
I agree with David that it is very difficult to find a home in Spring that is not in a HOA. I have seen a few, but not many. Contact me and I can help you find what you are looking for.
Hello again, Jo'cara!
It is very difficult to find a home in Spring that is not in an HOA. There are a few, though. Please contact me to let me know the particular areas, price point, size of home, etc. that you are seeking, and I can e-mail you a list of properties.