Home Buying in Wellesley>Question Details

Wellesleyrig…, Home Buyer in Wellesley, MA

How is wellesley when it comes to accepting people from diverse backgrounds especially in school?

Asked by Wellesleyright, Wellesley, MA Sat Aug 15, 2009

The Gormans: Karen & Becky’s answer
I agree with Deborah that no community is perfect but that Wellesley does make a huge effort to include EVERYONE.

We have a very,very special nephew who has attended the Wellesley schools for the past 14 years. Our Angel has severe Down syndrome and autism. I can't begin to tell you how loving and caring the teachers and nursing staff in Wellesley have been. They have become our "angels"! And what is even greater to experience is the acceptance and loving relationships that have developed with the other students in the schools.

I can only speak from past experience but would like to think that this behavior by the kids is a good indicator of the environment overall at the schools.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 16, 2009
Hi....We have lived in Wellesley since 1990 and both my kids (now 24 & 28) went through the Wellesley school system. I can attest to the great and nurturing environment for all students. Wellesley is a very diverse community and attracts a lot of people relocating from all across the country and the world. I can't say enough about the town and it's welcoming atmosphere.

New kids entering the school system are welcomed with open arms and it almost seems like there is competition to be the first to befriend the "new" person. Maybe it is because so many of the kids have faced the same experience of being uprooted..... Becky was in 4th grade when we moved here and she was very concerned about the transition, but I have to say that there were never any issues. In fact, she and my son just blossomed.

The schools really encourage accepting and learning about all cultures--most grade schools have a pot-luck dinner where each family is supposed to bring a meal that is representative of their culture or ethnicity. While my name is "Gorman" we brought stuffed cabbage & saurkraut which was a real hit --I'm Slovenian and Croatian which almost no one around here ever heard of!!

Hope this helps & I'm here if you need to talk about it further...............Karen 339-222-8103
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 15, 2009
Great Question - and one most home buyers naturally have. It may be helpful for you to understand that Realtors are NOT permitted to discuss this question with buyers. I know that is frustrating.

Having said that, Realtors are knowledgeable about the resources which may help you learn more about your question.

a. Check with the town demographic profile....Check out the schools profiles and website - learn about their sports, dance, music, newspaper groups etc.
b. Call the Town Clerks office an learn if there is a New Comers Group or something similar - and call to speak with members of the group living in that community
c. Call the school and ask to visit the school - see with your own eyes
d. ASK people who live in the Community what their experience has been

Notice - this is all about other peoples view points and their personal experiences. When it comes down to it - you will determine the quailty of life you have in any community.

If you'd like to learn how I may be a good fit for you as your buyer's agent, please give me a call; 508-479-9833

Mary Condon, MBA
No community is perfect. I do feel that Wellesley makes an effort to accept diversity, particularly in the schools.Diversity is not just ethnic or racial. It is used to describe a number of qualities: economic, intellectual,academic capabilities.Teachers understand that our lives are enriched by diversity. There have been international fairs in Wellesley elementary schools. The high school has had summer reading followed by all school discussions focused on increasing understanding of people from diverse backgrounds. Even autism was a topic of discussion. Certainly, in my many years as a scout leader in the community, we worked hard to increase awareness and acceptance of differences. This is a topic near and dear to my heart and I would welcome further discussion!

Debby Geheran
Real Estate Agent
As a graduate of Needham High, a bordering town of Wellesley (and Arch Rivals) I can tell you the town of Wellesley has a long history of compassion, empathy and fair treatment of all of it's residents, as well as those in neighboring towns. A wonderful town as far as schools and in recreation. You will be very happy there.

If you aren't already working with a Realtor, I'd like to discuss my services with you. You may e-mail me directly at RussR@508ForSale.com or you may call me on my cell at 508-215-6278.

Either way, Good Luck.