Kevin Jackson, Renter in Chapel Hill, NC

How is the racial diversity in the Stadium Heights area? We are a mixed family and dont care if it is diverse as much as safe for us.

Asked by Kevin Jackson, Chapel Hill, NC Tue Dec 4, 2012

Answers

7
We love the area! A great mix of young families and older generations!
No, it's good you asked that question, and around here it really would be fine for you to knock on someone's door if you're in a neighborhood that looks well cared for. (I'm not an agent; been here 5 yrs) Early evening hours, say 5:30-7, would be a good time, as long as it's not dark yet. I wouldn't be knocking in a neighborhood that looks run down, though, no matter my race. Watch for a neighborhood where people are outdoors in the evenings or on summer days walking their dogs, playing with their kids, that sort of thing. It's also easier to stop someone and ask them about the area when they're already outside. That's what my husband and I did when we were house hunting. Best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Durham in general is racially diverse and the Stadium Heights is no exception. I live here in Durham and it's diversity and generally liberal attitude is one of the things I most like about it.

Obviously I'm not sure what you're looking for and don't know if school districts are something you're considering, If they are you should do a little diligence on the schools that serve the Stadium Heights area. I would recommend http://www.NCReportCard.org as the best site for hard data on all NC public schools.

As to crime Durham offers an excellent resource known as CrimeMapper that I would encourage you to check out, I've attached the link below.

If I can be of any further assistance feel free to contact me directly through my profile here on Trulia.
thank you for that kind and honest answer-we were seriously considering this area with a recent job offer--we arent concerned about the public school as we will either homeschool or private school, but crime is definitely a concern.
Flag Thu Dec 6, 2012
I frequently have my buyers walk around a neighborhood and stop someone who is outside to ask about the neighborhood. I think you'll like Stadium Heights because it is diverse and safe. You can check the police blotter to find out about crime and what type of crime.

Today my buyer who is African American, knocked on a door that was open, asked about the neighborhood because she was thinking of buying a house and the man, also African American, told her who lived in all the houses, meaning which ones were good and which were problems because of drugs. He advised her not to move into the neighborhood.

I can't say that but the neighbor could.
sorry, im not an agent, i didnt know you couldnt talk about that. As an African American, I dont think it would be kosher going knocking on peoples door to find that out. Its usually best if its reflected in the make up of a neighborhood, whether its diverse or not. I guess in north carolina thats not an issue, it is here in Philadelphia.

sorry i asked.
As Vivian points out; if we comment on that positively or negatively, we can be accused of "Steering".
This applied to Race, Religion, Origin, etc.

Why don't you try to find a house you like, and then knock on the neighbor's door and find out if you would like to live there?
Real estate agents are not supposed to discuss any of the protected classes that include race. So let me answer this slightly differently. One of the things I love about Durham is the diversity. I started to say more, then decided that it would be better if you called me.

Vivian Olkin, aka CrazyViv

919-624-5479