Home Buying in Irvington>Question Details

Ryan, Home Buyer in 46250

How is the little flower neighborhood? My wife and I have looked also at Fishers (totally different, of

Asked by Ryan, 46250 Tue May 13, 2008

Obviously the two areas are very different. However, we love the craftsman style homes closer to Indy. This would be our first home so a comp for us would be a condo or small home in Fishers/Castleton.

Crime seems high throughout the city, but how is Little Flower overall? What can be said of typical neighbors?

Answers

13
In talking to my neighbor, who grew up in that area 20 years ago, the difference between Little flower now, and Fishers, is like night and day. Did not want to raise a family there. Fishers/Hamilton County........growing area, job growth, some of the best public schools in the country, lots of ammenities. Let alone looking at what you get from public services for your tax dollars. The demographics speak for themselves. Marion County is at a disadvantage to surrounding counties. From purely a housing standpoint, you can probably get a lot more bang for your buck in Marion. But there is a good reason for that. My question would be to you is what are your priorties? Got kids going to school, or are planning on it? Schools are a big question I get. Even if you don't have school kids, it does reflect on desirability and demand, which reflects on you ability to resell when you decide to do that. Is location a priority? Is drive time a consideration? Urban vs. suburbs? Just being a devils advocate here. No good answer but wanted to relay thoughts from someone I know who grew up there and still has family there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 13, 2008
My husband, daughter, and I have lived in Little Flower for 2 years. We love it. I am a science teacher in IPS and my husband is a professional downtown. It's SOOO close to downtown, we did not want to commute. I did an internship with Lily one summer and stayed in their corporate apartments up in Fishers and felt like I wasted my life commuting 45 minutes each way. The houses are cute here, the neighbors are friendly (bring you welcome to neighborhood cookie plates), the church community is fantastic, and little flower catholic school is totally affordable. Don't listen to the haters, the east side is not scary, it's friendly.
I closed on my house in Little Flower on April 30th of this year. This is my first home as well. I absolutely love the neighborhood. Some of the neighbors have lived there for 50 years, some bought houses a block from the one they grew up in. There seems to be a good mix of professionals, artists/writers, academics, etc. As for crime, the neighorhood association is very active in trying to start crime watch groups on every block. They are also actively trying to improve quality of life in the nieghborhood: adding trees, working with the city on improving the streets and sidewalks...
Hi Ryan, the Little Flower area has been rightfully famous for a long time as an area of beautiful,
affordable housing. There are some craftsman homes there right now that have totally rehabbed
and perfect for a first time home buyer. You know that area is artsy with festivals coffee shops,
farmers market and soon a fitness trail. The best way to decide which way to go, is to visit the
areas and the homes. You'll know your "home" when you are in it. Let me know if you would
like to meet me for coffee and take a look at a couple. Thanks, Marita Topmiller, 513-4652,
marita@maritatopmiller.com.
Thanks all for your input.

We asked this question just prior to moving to the area- in 2008--an update, we ended up in Emerson Heights, which is nestled between Irvington, Bosart Brown, Little Flower, Community Heights, and the like. A very lovely area indeed and you cannot beat the short commute! There are tons of neighborhood activities and also Ellengerber is a clean park, great for long walks with the pup.

Also the contruction of the homes is very solid, they have wonderful character which has been exceptionally well preserved. -- Every home in the tract is from 1910-mid 1930's! Arched doorways, plaster walls, brick bungalows, etc...

Also, Emerson Heights has now been nominated for the national register of historic places. So if you are looking for a beautiful area on the eastside, I can definitely now vouche for both Little Flower and Emerson Heights.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 28, 2009
Make sure to also check out the Holy Cross Neighborhood, just East of Downtown. You can actually walk to Mass Ave, yet the prices are still very reasonable. Lot's of the houses have already been updated, and with some of the deals you get unbelievable value in terms of space as well as character (if that is what you are looking for)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 20, 2008
We moved from Irvington 8 years ago. The eastside is experiencing increased crime and population changes. If you are Catholic, school choices are ok. Little Flower is a good elementary. IPS basically stinks, but the Options and Magnet Schools are good. Students are accepted on a lottery basis. Also, crime in Indianapolis is rising. We chose to move from Indy to Brownsburg.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Little Flower is a great neighborhood, so is nearby Irvington if you like the craftman and older homes. Fishers versus Little Flower? I wouldn't know where to begin. I'd suggest thinking about what you really want in terms of your first home. If charm of an older house is most important, than Fishers probably isn't going to be the place to go. People who move to Fishers do so for two primary reasons: Schools, access to shopping and dining. Good luck, and let me know if I can help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
This is just a personal opinion on my part, but I love that area. I know a lot of people (of all ages really) who have lived there forever. They live there and so do a lot of their family members. The houses are very unique and hard to find in the newer areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 15, 2008
I'm not sure about how specific neighborhoods stand but you can check the incidents of crime throughout most of the metro area by checking the following website: http://imaps.indygov.org/cvc/ . Statistics for a few areas such as Southport, Beech Grove and Lawrence are not included in the data but it has most of the city. If you would like specific information about homes in the areas you mentioned, let me know. You can contact me through my website at http://www.CindyBreneman.com .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 13, 2008
I have sold homes in Little Flower and think it is a great neighborhood. The sellers I have represented have only sold because they were moving out of Indianapolis or in several cases the families just outgrew the homes. Every single seller loved the neighborhood and hated to move out. The historic area of Irvington is also full or craftsman style homes and is very close to there. Also as Ryan & Heinz have pointed out Emerson Heights and Holy Cross are 2 other neighborhoods to check out that offer the craftsman style homes.

I also sell in Fishers and the neighborhoods are entirely different. There is an older section of Fishers that is very charming affording the ability to walk to restaurants and go to their free outdoor concerts. While I agree Fishers has many newer cookie-cutter homes it does offer the older homes as a wonderful alternative.

There are some great buys in all of those areas right now!

If you are not already working with an agent I would be happy to show you some of the areas so you
can make the right decision for your family.
Hi, I have lived in the Little Flower Community since 1989 and still love it! The houses in Fishers area on newer, area might offer more upscale stores, but crime is crime and takes no boundaries. In fact, to my surprize, the Fishers area crime has been in the news a lot. over the past year. Then it comes down to how strong is the network of people that surrounds you. (True in personal and business life) The Little Flower Community is comprised of professionals - singles, families, elderly that come together to make a strong community. Neighbors aren't in everyone's business but there for you if you have a need. i.e., My husband was ill and in hospital for a month. My neighbors built a network and took turns providing us food during this time. What a blessing! I have many friends in the Fishers area that have lived there many years and don't even know their next door neighbors. (not a lack of trying) . Something to consider.

If you love what the homes have to offer, don't let the fact that they are in Marion turn you away. I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the golden nuggets you would find in this hidden community. We are close to downtown which offers the arts, sports, restaurants, galleries, etc., and close to interstate access to all parts of downtown. It is obvious, I feel in Little Flower we have the best of everything without the fluff or potential high taxes that might be recognized in the Fishers area.
I've lived in Little Flower for five years with no problems. It's a very friendly and open community. We have some issues like any urban community. That's just what happens when you have a mix of people living together. And Fishers, Noblesville and Carmel have their issues too. In my opinion schools should not be the sole factor in determining where to live. If you work downtown, consider spending 1.5 hours a day in your car to commute to Fishers or 20 to communte to Little Flower. In LF we have great schools, homes and we are located just minutes to Irvington, Mass Ave, Monon and the many other community and cultural venues in the metro area. Don't buy the hype that the burbs are better than Indianapolis. Sans IPS, the schools here are just as good, if not better than anything you will find in the burbs. If you want to live in a connected, dynamic and interesting place then you should consider the eastside.