Home Buying in Needham>Question Details

Jon, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

How is the commute driving from Needham to Boston? How is traffic on 95S at night going to Needham? Is this?

Asked by Jon, Boston, MA Sat Aug 8, 2009

horrible during the summer? I want to ideally have no more than a half hour commute on average into downtown. Thanks!

then take the train...its 30 minutes from Hersey to South Station.
If you want a 30 minute commute you will need consider areas closer to the city like Belmont, Newton, Brookline, Arlington (and even parts of Lexington), etc. Otherwise, your commute from to needham to the city in high traffic hours will be long.
Dear Jon,

Having driven into Boston from the Wellesley/Needham area for years, the time of day that you are driving will be important (as indicated in the earlier answer too).

As for cutting across Route 30 - you always have tons of company if you are driving at peak times (everyone from Weston/Wayland headed for the Pike will be sharing the road. On most days, you will sit for several cycles at the light at South Ave (Rt. 30) and Newton St. and again at Rt. 30 and River Road, where you turn to get onto the Pike. As you note, taking Rt. 30 will avoid Rt.. 128, but it will not save time necessarily. The 128 stint may be less frustrating on most days.

If the commuter rail were an option (which I understand it may not be depending on where in the city you work and your need to have flexibility in terms of time etc.) being near Needham and Wellesley at least opens up the options of two train lines (although the schedules are not that different). If it ever becomes an option, the Needham commuter rail line is a little faster than the Wellesley line in general.

I wish I had a great alternate route/plan to offer, but unfortunately, no matter where west you live, you have a good amount of companionship commuting into Boston. If I can offer any additional information, please just let me know.

Andrea Mealey
Showpiece Real Estate, Inc.
Wellesley, MA

Serving clients in the communities of Wellesley, Weston, Needham, Newton, Sherborn, Natick and beyond.
What about north Needham? Could a commuter close to the Wellesley line just cut through Wellesley and get on the mass pike via route 30, and thus miss having to get on Rt 95 South?
IF you want to be on the road when EVERYONE else is, the commute can be long..ie after 7:00 am into Boston and after 4:30 out of Boston.....there are other roads that are used that are not the Mass Pike once you get to Newton (WEST) exit, then back road from there to Central Ave in Needham. Otherwise, you may need to get a helicoptor or take the Boston train MBTA to Needham (4 stops from South Station or Back Bay) and plenty of parking at the Needham Heights station...good luck...Kathy Lewis, Realtor for 17 years 781 444 1155...kathylewis@realtor.com or http://www.kathylewis.com
Web Reference: http://www.kathylewis.com