Home Buying in Minneapolis>Question Details

meg, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

How is crime in Brooklyn Park? Is it exagerated? In South MPLS I like to run the lakes and around block. I like diversity, and safety.

Asked by meg, Minneapolis, MN Thu Dec 20, 2012

Answers

8
Hi Meg,

Crime rates are one of many important things to consider when purchasing. It is important to feel safe and secure in your home. Another important thing to consider is that every buyer eventually becomes a seller. My buyers live in their new homes an average of 6 to 9 years. I use a tool (Price / Trend Index) to indicate what your new home may sell for in the future. This is a major investment. It is important to buy in an area where prices are trending up. Your professional Realtor should be able to make appropriate suggestions.
Web Reference: http://www.mywra.net
Yes Meg, you are right there is only a small area of Brooklyn Park that has cheaper houses and apartments that causes this over blown fear. I have answered this question 100's of times since 1991.And there are certain areas where homes are as safe as any area you can name. Give me a call i can help. 763-537-8382. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Meg, speaking from the experience of living in Brooklyn Park for 10 years, our family loves it. We feel comfortable, have easy commutes to various places and enjoy all kinds of big city amenities like 2 ice rinks and large community center, schools with lots of extra curricular offerings, lots of park and rec programs, trails, Mississippi River a world class golf course in Edinburgh USA and a variety of neighborhood types from character rich, historic homes to brand new construction.

I hope that is helpful.

Brett Hildreth, Coldwell Banker Burnet, Brooklyn Park Resident
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
I have sold homes in Brooklyn Park and I have helped buyers in Brooklyn Park. It is a huge city! Getting a good buyers agent that understands neighborhoods (the ones you are buying in duh) will help you greatly.

There is only so much you can do online. Eventually you need to drive neighborhoods and decide for yourself.
Look to the city to provide you with unformation. The Community Service officers in Brooklyn Park as well as other areas, can be particularlyt helpful since they help provide community cohesiveness. Good luck on your home search. One thing I can attest to as a Realtor and long-time NW Suburbs resident, is that our NW suburbs, including Brooklyn Park, have a wide range of excellent housing offerings at all price ranges, size and most represent a good quality of construction and fair prices per square foot. Good luck on your search. E 612-986-4105
Hi Meg! As Realtors we cannot comment on safety/crime in neighborhoods since how safe people feel is subjective & crime stats can be obtained by buyers from police departments or online.

But I can say I grew up in Brooklyn Park and have many fond memories of skipping rocks on the Mississippi with my sisters, biking along the trails & playing soccer at the many parks. My mom still lives there and she enjoys monthly potlucks with neighbors and knows everyone on her street (nearly half have lived there since they had their houses built in the '80s but some sold or even sadly foreclosed so there are newer neighbors as well).

Now I help many singles & families buy who also enjoy the same parks, trails, award winning schools & amenities (and now there is so much new development in places that have many restaurants, shopping and services locally that were just fields before). Many people I help sell their houses in Brooklyn Park buy a larger house within the city because they want to stay.

You mentioned enjoying the lakes/running & there are many areas like along the river & many parks that are great for enjoying scenery plus some man made ponds/"lakes" scattered around the city. There are miles of trails such as in the Edinburgh area & the Northern Trail that goes all the way across the city east to west to Champlin (plus a couple resident bridges over highway 252 for safety to connect from other areas ).

For many years, BP has been ranked among the top U.S. cities for National Night Out involvement (some years being ranked #1 but most recently this year #4). Edinburgh golf course has hosted many LPGA tours & holds one of the most prestigious MN PGA tours each year. And there are some foreclosures under $200k in the golf course neighborhood now! Many fellow alum from the U of MN's Housing major work for the city as Redevelopment planners, Neighborhood Preservation Specialists or city inspectors and are so involved & invested in the area.

Good luck in your search! Feel free to just ask if you have other questions here or by contacting an agent!
Web Reference: http://www.LizSibet.com
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
Everyone has their own opinions and comfort levels when considering the frequency and kinds of events that happen in various areas.

The best place for information is the local police department. Their reports will the least biased and most accurate.