Elizabeth cu…, Home Buyer in Palm Springs, CA

How important is dealing with the right agent and what are the questions to ask in order to attempt to find him/her?

Asked by Elizabeth currie, Palm Springs, CA Mon Oct 22, 2012

Answers

10
To find the right real estate agent is crucial. The experienced and recommendations of co-workers, friends and family can be invaluable. Is very important that you interview several real estate agents before selecting one. These interviews represent a good oportunity to establish the right agent for you, somebody likeable that will click with your needs right away.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
Elizabeth: I think the most important thing is morality - are they going to treat your home buying/selling experience like they would for themselves? Of course expertise is important, but what's expertise if the realtor is not going to be honest and treat you with respect and get back to you in a timely fashion? Make sure your realtor treats you as though you were their only client - its important that you get the one on one attention you need and if you feel neglected, you probably are! There are a lot of 'part time' realtors out there... make sure you're getting one that is going to give you their undivided attention! Good luck!
Choosing the right agent is so crucial. So many people think its just about finding a house. The market and times have changed. In these difficult times you need an extremely experienced agent that knows how to protect you regarding contract time frames, negotiations, protecting your deposit, and knowing short sales and foreclosures as well.
I would interview three. Below is a link to an blog post I wrote in Trulia to help with questions to ask. Good luck!

http://www.trulia.com/blog/laura_coffey_abr_qsc/2011/03/10_q…
Hi, Look at this as a relationship. You will be working very closely with your agent to make the biggest purchase of your life. You want an agent that is always professional, ethical, and an expert in their field. You should get along with the person so meet with a few to see how your personality meshes with theirs.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
914.406.9023
It is very important to find the right agent. A good place to start is by asking friends and family who they would recommend. Then, choose two or three of the recommended agents, meet with them in person and in addition to the questions already suggested, be sure to ask the following questions:

How many transactions do you average in a month? An experienced agent will average at least 2 transactions per month.

Do you work with buyers or sellers? I think you want an agent who works with both buyers and sellers because it is important for and agent to understand where the party on the other side of the transaction is coming from.

Where do you get most of your business? You want an agent who gets at least 50% of their business from referrals by past clients. This is a good indication that past clients were happy with the agent's work.

The fact that you are even asking this question, Elizabeth, could indicate that you are experiencing your first real estate transaction. It's extremely important to find the agent that you can communicate with and one that will communicate with you in a manner that works for you both.

With different age levels of our clientele, we need to be aware of what works, For instances, our "older" crowd works well mostly by phone and "wet" signature. For our next group, babyboomers, and near retirement age, phone and e-mail work very well, along with some texting. Four the younger aged group, texting is great and e-mail and a response is needed very quickly.

Once the communication method is figured out, things can go forward. Find an agent you can respect and trust and then follow their guidance. Ask any questions any time they come to mind, and make sure that the answers satisfy YOU. Questions of what is their experience, how well they know their area, why they became an agent, when will the be in touch with you, are some that may be important to know the answers to.

Good luck on your search.
Wow. great questions, I will make it short and sweet. Pick the area you want to find a home. Go to a large company Like Prudential, Or call me and i will get you a referral, thats better. Interview them for the job, Ask them what are they going to do for you. Its your money. Remember you are not paying for that realtor she is working for free. The listing side or the home you are going to purchase is paying for her or him to provide a qualified buyer. That is how the realtor gets paid. So I would recomend you have a scheduled appt with the agent and see if you feel comfortable and that that realtor is knowledgable and has your best interest at heart. Its like a job interview, If you dont feel comfortable, then find someone else. Here is my Diane and number 714-618-8031
If i dont hear from you , good luck with your search and realtor, call me and let me know if you were happy.
It's important, and the right questions are those that you need to have answered.

I know that seems glib, but what's important to you may not be important to someone else.

Communication is key, and if you have concerns, you should address them early rather than later.

One of the most important things in working with an agent is your rapport with him or her. The questions I would ask are:

1) Will you be available when I call?
2) How quickly do you return telephone calls?
3) What is the process we will go through when buying/selling a home?
4) How long have you been an agent?
5) Are you licensed?
6)Are you a Realtor?

These are just some general questions. As you are talking to the agent you will probably come up with more questions.

It is good to ask family and friends if they have someone they recommend you use. Don't feel obligated to use someone's relative or friend. Interview them just as you would any other.

Best.
Dot Chance, Realtor®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
DRE License #01494182
Keller Williams Realty World Media Center
http://www.DotChance.com
818.339.7712

WHEN YOU THINK OF REAL ESTATE...Think DotChance.com! My business thrives from your referrals!

Also, be clear about what your expectations are and discuss them with the potential agent of choice.
Great question. The right agent can make or break a deal for you. There is so much to it that i'ts almost incomprehensible.

You need an agent with experience, intelligence and integrity. These things matter. An experienced Realtor will know the inventory in your community, and help you sort out the right search parameters for you and your family.

A good agent will relate well not only to you but to the other agent and principle on the other side of the table. This helps the deal go way more smoothly than it otherwise would.

A great agent relates well to you. Instead of boasting about his or her track record, he or she will pay attention to you, your finances, your search parameters, and your transactions. You need to feel safe in this person and trust that your Realtor is looking out for you. Your questions need to be answered, and your concerns addressed.

I always offer my clients an opportunity to meet me at their home, or go out on a home search for a few hours. By doing one or the other, we have the opportunity to talk and get to know one another on a human level.

If I were you, I would call a few agents, ask to meet with each, or perhaps ask the agent to show you a home or two. See what type of interaction you have, notice if the agent asks you questions, and get a sense of one's personality.

Trust your gut to make the decision. Be reassured that if it doesn't work over time, you CAN change agents.