Home Buying in Logan Square>Question Details

Zachary A, Other/Just Looking in 60622

How hard is it to not renew a section 8 tenant's lease?

Asked by Zachary A, 60622 Wed Jun 25, 2008

My offer was just accepted on a two flat. I just found out that the top floor is a section 8 tenant. While she is very nice and keeps the place well I always wanted to stay away from section 8. I have heard a lot of horror stories about it so I was wondering can I just not renew their lease that technically does not exist anyway? I know there are a lot of strange rules and restrictions for section 8, I just want some advice.

Answers

3
In this day and age of real estate, you said you have a nice tenant and keeps the place nice, what more do you want? Sounds like the perfect tenant to me. Besides, you get your rent on time each month, right? Now you have a "postive" Section 8 story to go back to those people and share.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 25, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "ust not renew their lease that technically does not exist anyway? " The lease exists even after a property changes hands. You need to look at the lease and see what the terms are, and when it is to expire. You will need to learn about Chicago Residential Tenant Landlord Ordinance and see what your requirements are for notifiying the tenant of non-renewal. Also, you probably have to call CHA and let them know the property has changed hands and will no longer participate in Section 8 voucher program after this tenancy expires. In Chicago, a written lease runs it's course whether or not the property changes hands.

I am a co-owner of a house on the northwest side in Portage Park. We get a fair market rental and it is always paid on time by the tenant and CHAC- section 8. Our family loves the situation they are in because we have provided a wonderful home for them and in turn they have taken great care of the home as if it was there own. I would say it is a win-win situation when you have nice people who take an interest in the home and are grateful for a better place to live in and also good landlords. Our people were in a previous cramped space with a bad landlord. We could have these people for life if we choose.

My advice is do your homework and background check thoroughly on the prospective tenants and make sure that your place will pass the inspection. If you do that it should be a good situation in these tough times.