Bob, Other/Just Looking in 90703

How hard is it to get fire insurance?

Asked by Bob, 90703 Fri Sep 28, 2012

Answers

4
In this area, it can be difficult Bob. You'll want to start looking as soon as you have a place in escrow. Insurance companies can only insure a certain amount of properties in any one area at a time. They don't want to be caught "overexposed" in case there is a large catastrophe, like a major wild fire that wipes out a hundreds of homes in one event. So one month, Farmers, for example won't be able to write you and State Farm can. The next month it's just the opposite. Good Luck;
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
Hi Bob,

In the Grass Valley area it will depend on the location of the home, how far away the fire stations are, if you are in the rural area, near a forest or in town.

Some insurance companies will no longer write policies in our area due to high fire danger. I encourage you to start the conversation with your insurer early in the home buying process and do not wait until 2 days before closing.
It's usually a very simple matter. The exception to that is if there has been a fire in that neighborhood.
It depends on the location of the property. Some insurance companies require a clearing of low branches and brush away from the home. I have always been able to assist the buyers I help in securing fire insurance.