trafficstudi…, Home Buyer in Milpitas, CA

How far should a house should be away from a high voltage PGE transmission line.?

Asked by trafficstudies, Milpitas, CA Wed Jan 23, 2013

I saw some high voltage power lines next to the backyards of some executive homes in the Hayward Hills. Was there any study done by PG&E or any other electric utility company about the long term effects of living near by these facilities.

Answers

6
trafficstudies:

This topic comes up quite a bit in Fremont due to the Hetch-Hetchy power lines that cross over Mission Blvd and continue on to San Francisco. http://www.sfwater.org/index.aspx?page=355

For an opinion on risk I turned to a friend who is an Electrical Engineer who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
As John pointed out, there have been many studies and none indicate any substantive issues. Unfortunately, urban legends persist and, consequently, MANY feel that power lines are an issue – but only have rumors to substantiate it. Conversely, we sold a listing on Drummond that has a high voltage tower immediately behind it – the buyer had no concerns of any kind about the power lines and is quite happy with his purchase.

Here’s the bottom line: although there is no proof of any kind that the power lines cause issues, many are still not comfortable with power lines and therefore will not buy a home close to them.

Although they may never affect you directly while you live there, THEY WILL IMPACT YOUR RESALE VALUE if the market is slower than it is right now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2013
The subject of Electro Magnetic Fields surrounding high voltage towers is a matter of some controversy. Here is a link to the PG&E webpage addressing the issue. http://www.pge.com/myhome/edusafety/systemworks/electric/emf/faqs/

You will find lots of information if you do an internet search for electro magnetic fields.

Personally, I think the towers are unsightly and, given the lack of clarity on the subject of EFM, I would choose to live away from the towers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Traffic,
This is a question you should take directly to PGE, not a real estate aggregate website.
In the meantime, each and every one of those homes is occupied by those who CHOOSE to live there.
If it's a concern to you, do not buy a home under power lines, or cell towers or flight paths or with high humidly or around trees or on a busy street or susceptible to solar flares, full moons, high pressure systems or any of the concerns a citizen may have.

You should consider this a NON-ISSUE since you also have the ability to choose where you will buy and do not have the authority to dictate where others may choose to live.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
I'm totally unsure of regulations and studies on this topic but feel that in these cases, common sense should prevail. I for one would not buy in one of these locations and address these conditions with my customers from the esthetics view point, making certain they understand that resale value will likely be compromised.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Check this out...

the article points out risks and actual happenings:
http://www. midtod.com/9603/voltage.phtml

And one more on thsGardenWeb
http:// ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg021604038945.html
Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 16:49
Coming from a small town with a higher-than-average incidence of cancer, I would forget the house, no matter how much you love it. In our subdivision, the power lines were at the end of our street which was 1 block. The incidence of cancer in that development was mind boggleing! It seemed to take the path on the diagonal, affecting children and adults, everything from leukemia to breast cancer. We only lived there 7 years and I thank God we were given the opportunity for a job transfer. Having 5 children, and realizing this at just about the time of the move, we probably would have moved out of the town into the country. Since that move, every single one of my neighbors have died, and i've been told others have been diagonosed/died from the disease. A beautiful home in a prestidegeous neighborhood should NEVER be a reason for putting ones health, and the health of loved ones, at risk. ;o)