Home Buying in Waxhaw>Question Details

Bonnie, Home Buyer in Waxhaw, NC

How far is Waxhaw from the city of Charlotte on a work day. This question is important please answer it honestly. Thank you Bonnie

Asked by Bonnie, Waxhaw, NC Wed Sep 28, 2011

Answers

10
Bonnie,

I live in that area and to get an accurate answer you'll need to be specific on your origin and destination. I have a Waxhaw mailing address and live 4 min. away from the Charlotte city limits. Use Google maps to enter you start and finish address to get the mileage and then factor the time of day you will be travelling. If I was commuting from "downtown" Waxhaw to Bank of America Stadium in Uptown Charlotte during the morning or evening rush hour I would give myself one hour to be able to drive safely and be at work on time.
Web Reference: http://www.essexhomes.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
Bonnie it all depends on which routes you take for your commute. There are several ways to get uptown including a straight shot up Providence Road/hwy 16, use of I-485 and I-77, or the light rail from Pineville. I recommend the light rail if it stops at your destination or a sensible walking distance. Many commuters travel to and from Charlotte/Waxhaw daily. Now, Waxhaw borders Mecklenburg County and spreads south. So it really depends on the exact addresses you are talking about from a commute perspective. Your delays will be morning and evenings on the I-485 West stretch from Providence Road to I-77. The morning traffic moves slowly while evening traffic tends to start backing up and moving sporadically around 4:15pm along the same corridor. Allow about a 40 minute commute, give or take.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
Bonnie, you need to provide exact locations, at least a destination from Waxhaw. Charlotte city limits are wide spread, so it could be anywhere from 6 mins to over an hour to the North or West side of Charlotte city limits.
Hey Bonnie,

Realistically 45 minutes to an hour. I live in Ballantyne and can get there in 25 and it takes me 20 to get to Waxhaw. Contact me with any further questions, I'd love to help!
Bonnie,
It looks like you have received a good amount of feedback on your question. I personally live in Waxhaw and during rush hour, it takes a solid 45-60 minutes to get Uptown Charlotte. Like everyone mentioned, there are different routes you can take, via the interstate or up Providence Rd. Either way, your drive time will be about the same. I hope this helps!
Depending on where in Charlotte (which covers a large geographical area) you need to be on a workday, Waxhaw is between 20 minutes (South Charlotte) and 45 minutes (Uptown/city center in relatively heavy traffic).

I hope that answers to your question. Feel free to contact me with any others.

Yours truly,
ERIC J. DORER, B.S., J.D.
NC/SC Realtor/Broker
Wilkinson & Associates
(980)875-0950
ejdorer@gmail.com
Bonnie, A normal drive time from Waxhaw to uptown Charlotte should range between 35-50 minutes with driving distance between 24-36 miles. There are various routes you can take depending on the exact location you are commuting to and from.
Bonnie,

I live in Waxhaw and drove my son to CPCC Monday through Friday for three months at 8:30 in the morning. This campus is just outside of the City and I took Providence RD. mostly. I could get to the Campus in 35-40 minutes on most days in Average rush hour traffic. I would add 15 minutes more to get to the center of Charlotte and park. You would really need to allow for one hour to be comfortable and of course any traffic accidents would require additional time; however that would apply to any area you move to. 485 to I-77 takes about the same amount of time but can be a bit more stressful as highways tend to be. I live near the intersection of Cuthbertson and Providence for reference.
It depends where in Waxhaw and the route you take. From the outskirts of Waxhaw to Uptown is generally 40 minutes. At low traffic times, it can be 25 or 30. You can take Providence the whole way, or 485 to 77. You can also go to South Street and take the light rail train but this is longer because of stops -- it is just convenient for parking depending where you are going, and if you do not need a car once there. I think that Charlotte is a great place to work, and Waxhaw, Weddington and Marvin provide a wonderful place to live.
Consider a test run, that way you can determine if the commute is feasible for you...