L, Home Seller in Virginia Beach, VA

How far in advance should we put a house up for sale in order to be plenty prepared in a new school district?

Asked by L, Virginia Beach, VA Sun Sep 2, 2012

I am not a last minute type of person. In 2 years my oldest will need to attend elementary school in a different district than we are currently in. We therefore need to have sold and be moved in and well settled prior to Sept of 2014. When should our for sale sign go up? Of note, I have 3 small children in the home everyday, which I know can make selling a bit more difficult. On the plus side, values in our neighborhood are going up and it is a great, kid friendly neighborhood fairly close to the oceanfront.

Answers

6
We put it up in the beginning of Feb and within 2-3 days were under contract! I was worried about listing in February, but my plan for listing early as to not have too much competion, worked out wonderfully! Thank you for all the feedback.
You are certainly correct in saying that our values are improving. This is very true. I live near the Oceanfront about 9 blocks back. I'm certainly seeing growth and improvement in our values there. Let me say that if any home in is good condition and has been updated over time, you won't have any problem getting it sold. The greatest factors in selling a home are condition and location. If you have these two things working for you, market value pricing would be the final link to true success in getting to sold. Okay, that being said, I would look at putting it on the market around March or April of next year. Because you will need time to also find a home, you will need to summer to get your family repostioned from one home to the other. The best time to sell is after the first of the year and before the summer begins. After school is out is a harder time because families travel during the summer and aren't really making big moves. As we get closer to August, the market does surge so people can be in by school. It's a scrambled though the wait until the end of the summer. If you need any other advise or direction, let me know. You can certainly find me here at Trulia! Thanks and much luck!!
Hi L, I am not a fan of scrambling last minute either, so I understand. If there isn't any reason keeping you where you're living now, you can sell at any time. The sooner you sell, the less you will stress about time. Glad to hear home values in your neighborhood are going up - that's good news! By the same token, they're going up elsewhere too, so consideri that when weighing your options (also, interest rates are extremely low now). One final note: You're right about small children in the house. It CAN make it challenging (cleanup is NOT a breeze - been there). Try to keep the children's things confined to certain areas (their bedrooms and playroom), so that adult spaces remain adult spaces (Staging 101 :) I hope I've helped. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further help.
The time frame is really up to you. If nothing is currently holding you in your present location in Virginia Beach, why not take the first step and contact an agent to make suggestions concerning what your home may need to be even more appealing to buyers.

Interest rates are the best they have been in sometime, and if you know the area that you desire to reside and place your children in school, we could also keep an eye on that particular area so you will know when something comes on the market.

Anything as important as moving and selling a home, requires a plan with some professional advice. I would be more than happy to consult with your family over this future switch in residence anytime. I can be reached at 472-4954, or FKornegay@roseandwomble.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I have had several sellers/buyers decide to wait until the Summer before they need to be in a new school district and I think that is too late. If you run into a problem selling or finding a home, you might have trouble enrolling your children. I always advise to sell and buy the year before at the latest. There are obviously other factors to consider including value, interest rates, getting prequalified and so on.
There are many consideration here:

The Values in your neighborhood are going up, but so are the Values in your next neighborhood:
And, assuming that you will be moving UP; the price of your next house will increase more than your present house. (Maybe the same percentage, but more dollars.)

Assuming that Job relocation is not a factor; I would recommend moving now:
Decide on your Realtor and go for it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012