Adrian745, Home Buyer in Saint Francis Wood,...

How easy is it to buy sufficient earthquake insurance from a private insurance company for a home built before 1950 in San Francisco?

Asked by Adrian745, Saint Francis Wood, San Francisco, CA Tue Jun 8, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Eileen Bermingham’s answer
Hi--Your question is best answered by an insurance professional, as it is pretty specific.

I wrote a blog post recently about earthquake insurance, if you'd like further background on the subject:…

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 16, 2010
I believe Ray is correct, but it's expensive and has huge deductibles, so you can still end up with a very large bill in the event of damage even with earthquake insurance. If you are concerned about it you may want to assess the structural integrity of the building with an engineer who will factor in what's underneath your house, what has been done to upgrade the property seismically, and which groundshaking zone it's in to determine potential risk.

Many homeowners have decided that it's better to put the money into seismic upgrades than huge premiums, but only you can decide if that is the right course for you. If you want a referral for an engineer our contact info is below.

Best Regards,

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 9, 2010
Easy? That's difficult to answer. It's usually quite expensive so many homeowners go without. Not all insurance companies offer earthquake overage. It's best to just call a few insurance agents and have a talk. The cost depends on many things like the condition of the home, its location, if there have been any earthquake retrofitting, any quake damage in the past to the home or neighboring homes, brick or concrete foundation ......

Good luck

Oggi Kashi
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 8, 2010
I believe that all earthquake insurance in California is handled by the state. You need to buy it through your insurance agent, but the premiums are set by the state. You can see what you would have to pay by using this calculator.

I hope this helps.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 8, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer