Katrina Head, Both Buyer and Seller in 80209

How does the townhouse ownership work? Are the grounds maintained? The outside kept up in regards to roof and paint? How can you own just HALF?

Asked by Katrina Head, 80209 Sat Mar 26, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Jon Terry’s answer
Most town homes are part of a home owners association, and the rules of the HOA govern. When you buy a town home, row home, or condominium, you are must review the governing documents to be certain you are comfortable with the rules and regulations
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 6, 2011
Hi Katrina,

This all depends on the development that the townhome is in. If it has an HOA it may cover anything from ground maintenance and roof to pool, water, utilities, utiliies, exterior paint, etc. The HOA documents would need to be reviewed for each townhome,

When you say 'half', you may be referring to a duplex, especially in the Wash Park area. A stand alone duplex is different. There often is no HOA and nothing is covered. You would be responsible for grounds maintenance, roof, water and all thigs as if it were a detached single family home. One thing to consider is that there is often a shared water bill. Often one person receives the bill and the other party pays them half. This seems to work out well in a lot of cases; but depending on your neighbor it can be an issue. If you have hired a Buyer's Agent already, they can guide you through this. If not feel free to contact me or one of the other highly qualified brokers who have responded.

Robert McGuire ASR
Your Castle Real Estate
3900 E. Mexico Ave. #1350
Denver, CO 80210
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 27, 2011

All good answers on the things typically covered by a HOA and how you can buy half of a duplex. There is another potential option to buy fractional ownership which are how many mountain and vacation homes are sold. This doesn't seem like the option for most of Wash Park, but it may be someone looking to snowbird to AZ or FL for the winter. I would need more info to get you to the final answer.

Let me know if you are speaking of fractional ownership and I will direct you to the correct resource.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Denver!

George Lewman

Your Castle Real Estate

Web Reference: http://www.georgelewman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 29, 2011
Townhomes are also Considered "condo' as well In general You own the space inside with common ownership of the grounds and land. If it is a Duplex kind of Townhome that is an attached single family home it may be that you just own your half and that is it. In the condos you may have an HOA that takes care of the building exterior, roof and grounds. We can not answer this without knowing what kind of home it is.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 28, 2011

Sonuds like a condo amy work better for you. Want my help in finding one?

Derrek Patrick
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 28, 2011
Hi Katrine,
Since you ask if you can buy half, I am guessing that you are looking at a duplex, or an attached home. These properties often have a party wall agreement that defines the rights and obligations of ownership for both sides of the common wall. There may be agreements for maintaining the grounds and roof, but often there is not. Genereally it is easy to divide the yard maintenance as you would own the half of the land that your half of the duplex sits on. The parties have to agree on things like replacing the roof and exterior painting.
On a true townhome, usually there are covenants, conditions and restrictions that are created when the townhomes are built, and those govern all of the homeowners. Here is an article that might help answer your questons about the ownership of townhomes. http://ltgc.com/files/technicalbulletins_customers/condomini…

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Vicki Porter
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 27, 2011
Your question is too general, It depends on the complex.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 27, 2011
Hi, Katrina. Your question does not indicate an address, so cannot look up for you. A "townhome" is a style of housing with at least one shared wall. HOA/condo is a a type of "ownership," dictating who owns the property and what portion of it you own. You need to ask if the TH is under an HOA regime or "fee simple" (meaning you own it completely). However, even in that case your broker should be guiding you through understanding any legal party wall or handshake agreements between neighbors as to upkeep. We are able to set up home searches based specifically on what type of ownership (or lack thereof) you seek, among your other criteria. Every SINGLE situation is different & it would be best to convey to your Broker your ideal, so they can help weed out those properties least likely to satisfy you (that is one of the ways we spend our time).
It is also important to note, and please ask your broker for guidance and be VERY clear with your mortgage lender about how the ownership regime could impact 1) your ability to get a loan and 2) any change in the type of loan you can use.
It is crticial to ask these questions through your own Broker and to request via your offer AND then read all documents, do not rely on verbal information or on an agent treating you as a customer (not your "Broker").
I often even accompany my clients to the county offices if they feel they need to do further digging to satisfy any questions. All Best, Nicci Hyatt
Web Reference: http://www.NicciHyatt.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 26, 2011
Katrina, Good question! Any multi-family ownership home such as townhome, condo, or duplex files documentation with the County to set up legal descriptions for each unit. What is covered varies slightly but normally a monthly HOA fee is paid which covers grounds maintenance, snow removal, trash removal, water, and insurance on the exterior of the building. The townhome owner owns what is inside the unit. For example, if the townhome owner broke out a front window normally they would be responsible. If someone threw a rock into the window the HOA normally would cover it. Buyers in the State of Colorado have the right to review the documents relating to the complex including any rules and to also look at the financial stability of the Association before closing on a contract. If there is something which they find to be unacceptable they have the right to get out of the contract and to have their earnest money returned. As everyone will tell you, you really need a Buyers Agent who is experienced and will help to protect your interests. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.
Kayla Okafor, MBA
Denver Real Estate Connection
Ofc: 303-455-0244
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 26, 2011
In most cases, townhouses, condo's and zerolots have a monthly fee that covers some or all of the following: yard care, snow removal, exterior maintenance, garbage and the maintenance of common areas. Be advised that you will want an accounting of how much money the association has in reserve. If the funds are low and a new roof is advised, the cost would be assessed and if the association didn't have the necessary funds to cover the entire cost, the residents could be hit with a "special assessment" to cover the balance. You should ask your agent to obtain a copy of the by-laws. This will outline what is covered by the monthly fees, and get a copy of the most recent budget from the association so that you know how much money is in reserve.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 26, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer