Home Buying in Sanibel>Question Details

Intransition…, Home Buyer in 99501

How does the foreclosure process work on Sanibel?

Asked by Intransition Portcharlotte, 99501 Tue May 14, 2013

I see a lot of low-priced foreclosure single family homes on the island, and I am never clear if that low price listed on Trulia is the price I pay as long as I am patient and willing to go through the process.

Answers

6
Good afternoon,

I've been helping First Time Buyers for 23 years as a mortgage professional and I will tell you what I have always told my clients here in New York: If you are a First Time Buyer, steer clear of foreclosures and short sales.

Foreclosures are someone else's headache. The home probably has not been well-maintained and you're a First Time Buyer adjusting to paying a mortgage. Do you really want to walk in the door to someone else's deferred maintenance that YOU will have to pay for? Also, if you're thinking there are deals to be had in terms of lower prices, mostly those "deals" go to professional investors who can pay cash, negotiate hard with a Lender, and close fast.

For Short Sales, my attitude of late is that First Time Buyers should steer clear. Short Sales tend to be a better deal for the homeowner than for the Buyer. You'll wait MONTHS for the homeowner's Lender to approve the short sale; maybe as long as Six or Seven Months. Meanwhile, you're stuck in a contract to buy that home. I closed a short sale recently with a Buyer who, after seven months said this at the closing table, "I don't even want this house anymore."

And he didn't even get the "deal" on price he thought he was getting! The house appraised for only slightly more than he paid for it at the short sale price. He walked into this deal thinking he was buying a home for $100,000 less than it's value. In the end that wasn't the case.

There are plenty of motivated Sellers with their homes listed on your local MLS. Go find a good Local Mortgage Banker, get prequalified, then find a great, experienced Realtor, and buy the home you want at the price you're willing to pay.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 14, 2013
I am not sure where any of you are getting your information. There is currently only 1 foreclosure on Sanibel and that's contingent. Foreclosures and shorts, on Sanibel and captiva, have dried up. There's a short - right across from a gas station.

With respect to Sanibel, I can't talk about Cape or Ft. Myers because I only know the island, 10% of all short sales and foreclosures close with in a year. You make your offer, the bank requires you to complete and return a bunch of their forms - As-Is, Bank Addendum - stating you are at the banks mercy and they can do whatever they want - when they want. This is because they are calculating how much TARP money they will get back - thanks to our current admin.

The "low price" you see on trulia - may or may not be accurate and should no way constitute what you may actually own the property for. Make an offer, fill out more paper work, don't hear anything for 4 weeks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 14, 2013
Jesse is totally correct. The listings you are seeing are probably posted by realty trac? They put misleading information out to try to get you to buy into their service. Our market has really changed and you do not see many foreclosures anymore. I would be happy to help you look for a home in the area. Let me know if I can help.

Have a great day,
Nancy
Please send me your email and any criteria about what you're looking for, like what is your budget, how many bedrooms rooms, need a pool, gulf access, property size, location etc... I will send you all of the currently available homes that fit the picture you build for me. Prices are still low and interest rates are at a record low, what a great time to buy a home in southwest Florida.

I have sold millions in southwest Florida homes and I specialize in working with Buyers. I have lived here for 13 years and have been visiting the area since I was a child, so I can tell you with confidence that I'm very knowledgable about all of SW Florida, the Real Estate market and the art of buying a home. I am an expert at locating the perfect property that fits your needs, negotiating the best deal possible and protecting your interests every step of the way. Call me and lets talk about how I can help you find a house you will love.

Respectfully,

Terence Trombetti • Realtor®
Gulf Coast Realty Network
4002 Del Prado Blvd. S.
Cape Coral, FL 33904
Mobile 239.560.1574
terencetrombetti@gmail.com
http://www.gulfcoastproperty.net

If you would like to search for properties like a Realtor on the Florida Gulf Coast Multiple Listing Service, go to http://www.gulfcoastproperty.net. Click on the "MLS" icon to the right.
You are being misled.....if you want to buy a foreclosure it will hit the open market unless you buy from courthouse steps which I don't recommend unless you are a seasoned investor.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
Typically if it seems too good to be true, it is. That being said there may be some great deals for whatever you are looking for and a good real estate agent will keep an eye out so you can take advantage of them when they come through foreclosure. Also, if you would like, I can tell you a little bit about buying a house directly from the foreclosure auction, which is where you are most likely to get the best deal you can on the house. Feel free to give me a call: 239-246-3004 or shoot me an email: jrmartin.mig@gmail.com and we can discuss your options and what is available at the moment.

John Martin
Sun Realty
239-246-3004
jrmartin.mig@gmail.com