Stone, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

How does one terminate a relationship with a broker if you're not happy with their service even if you did sgn paperwork over a year ago?

Asked by Stone, Los Angeles, CA Tue Apr 27, 2010

Answers

12
The best thing to do is just be honest with them as to why you're not happy and that you'll be looking elsewhere. That way, hopefully, your agent will be able to learn from his mistakes and be a better agent in the future. Now, granted, some people are not going to take it well and will just get mad, but don't sweat it, just move on. You're the customer and we as agents are here to serve you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 12, 2010
Hi Stone,
Please do take a look at your paperwork from this Brokerage. A year is a very long agreement to have signed, unless the sale is Raw Land., It's likely the agreement has already expired. IF so, you are free to interview other Agents. Normally an agent and a client must have a good rapport and trust in order to work together effectively
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 27, 2010
I would assume that the contract would be expired by now so you should no longer be obligated to use them. Look over a copy of it just to make sure and tell the agent that it's just not working out. Even if you are still under contract with them they should be willing to terminate the contract if you are not happy but make sure you get a signed cancellation (if the contract is still active).
Web Reference: http://MrWestside.com
There probably are a lot of reasons that you can termination the contract, BUT I would have to read it and talk to you to find out why you want to terminate and what the next step would be.
Seriously, Louwu? Referral fees are illegal between agents when referring a client to another agent or company?

So if I have a client that is moving to CA and want to refer them to an agent in CA, are saying it is illegal for them to pay a referral fee?

Linda
Web Reference: http://lindacefalu.com
Mack,

Referral fees in CA are illegal
Yeah, all contracts have an expiration, but the way to terminate the relationship is honestly - "Agent, I feel it's time for me to see other agents."

I'm not generally a fan of paying referrals, but I do think that it isn't out of line for an agent who has educated a buyer over time and makes them a more ready buyer for a new agent to get a 25% referral.
Hello Stone,

This happens a lot. Most buyers do the folllowing:

Let them know your not happy and that you are going to start working with someone else.

Just tell them (a little white lie) that you going to stop looking for a home.

Some time the ladder is easiest. I'm sorry to hear you have not been happy with your agent. Sometimes it's just not a fit.

If you need assistance in your search for a home, check out my site. I have many refferences on my site.I am patient and not pushy. Return phone calls quickly and listen to your needs. Customer service is 1st.

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
mcarrabba@kw.com
(323) 899-2900
Depending on the type of agreement you have and for how long, as the others before me have mentioned, will dictate your next move. I have seen instances where there was a personality conflict and the broker assigned the client a new agent. This might be another option for you.

Linda
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
Like Joyce says, read your agreement. There should be a time limit, not open ended. The jagreement should also specity the remedy for getting out if either side is not performing as agreed. The broker should be able to help you. If not, you may need to consult an real estate attorney.
Good Luck
Hi there Stone, You need to reveiw the contract or agreement to see what type it is. If you talk with the broker and explain the circumstances why you want to terminate then usually there will not be a problem

Best Of Luck
Michael Barron
First Team Real Estate
(714) 552-6817

First of all, what paperwork did you sign? Was it a listing agreement to sell your home or a buyer broker agreement? There should be a beginning & ending date for your contract. If you are not happy w/ the broker's service, tell the broker. Have specific reason (s) why you are not happy. If you can not work out your concerns about service, ask the broker to unconditionally release you from your contract. Hope this helps.