Home Buying in Bismarck>Question Details

Monique Thom…, Renter in Bismarck, ND

How does a person find a decent rental in Bismarck without being scammed?

Asked by Monique Thomas, Bismarck, ND Wed Mar 13, 2013

I am trying to find a rental in Bismarck, ND. So far my husband I have been contacted by two seperate people claiming to have a house for rent. I contacted a Real estate agent and they were both scams.

Answers

5
Monique, I have heard of such scams going around on such sites as Craigslist, including in the Bismarck area. Often times, these scammers are pulling active real estate listings and posting them on these websites claiming they are for rent, when they are truthfully NOT.

I would recommend using BisManOnline http://(www.bismanonline.com) to find a rental - it's a local classifieds site much like Craigslist but it's well maintained and monitored. BisManOnline is the king of local classifieds and, because of that, very few locals use Craigslist for anything - so I'd steer away from Craigslist or any other national site as such.

Below is a list of reputable rental companies in Bismarck (most of these are apartments though, not houses).

Goldmark
RJR
IMM
IRET
Rocky Gordon
If it sounds like the "rental" is a private home in Bismarck, you can always check the city records at the following website to see who the property owner is:

http://nd-bismarck.civicplus.com/appraisal.aspx

Simply type in the house number (not the street or anything else) and it will give you a list of properties in Bismarck with that house number. Click on the proper one and it will give you the owner on record. Of course, there is a chance that the property could have changed hands recently and the records haven't been update yet, but more than likely it should be correct.

Monique,
Contact the Property Management companies in Bismark and Mandan like Rocky Gordon, RJR and IMM. Use the phone book for others. Scammers don't usually place ads in the phone book.
Thanks so much for all the help. We have taken jobs there and are really feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of moving and the last thing we need is someone attempting a scam. It's shamefull that no one can stop these ppl.
Flag Wed Mar 13, 2013
As you already have been doing, always contact a local Real Estate Agent whenever possible.
A couple of suggestions:

1. Do NOT provide personal info and/or $$$ unless the person you're sending it to for review (either directly or through their agent) is actually the person on title.
2. Contact a local RE agent that can answer your questions and find the needs you're wanting to be met with your future home. He or she should be able to provide you a list of bona fide homes that are actually available.
3. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

-IrvineRealtor