Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Sam Spade, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

How does a nearby sports complex effect property value? I am thinking of placing an offer on a home near a proposed multiple sports complex(ball

Asked by Sam Spade, Seattle, WA Tue Apr 6, 2010

fields, trails, skate park and wading pool). It is a big park. How will this effect property values or desireability?

Answers

9
Well if it's my listing in Pioneer Square the sports complexes give tremendous value! It sounds like you're talking about a different property though :-).

I think if the home you are considering is near the proposed complex that you are buying something pretty cool. I would consider how any night lighting might affect your home, and if that kind of lighting will exist at the complex or not.

If you're talking a typical community center, you're not talking a huge sports complex with tons of traffic. Since Safeco Field and the Seahawks Stadiums don't feature fields, trails, state park or a wading pool, my guess is the proposed complex is going to be a pretty fantastic addition to the area. Does the proposal have a website?

If you like sports, people and see yourself using some or all of the amenities, it sounds like a win-win, and an enhancement to the surrounding property values and desireability.
It rather depends, doesn't it? Having construction nearby can be a pain to live through. However, it's difficult to demonstrate the effect on home values from, say, the Loyal Heights Community Center.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 6, 2010
Is the park already in? If so it is already a factor in the price.

If it is just being planned now, as a general rule, it is a plus.

For example, there is a plan to make many of the reservoirs in Seattle subterranean. Where the reservoirs are currently will be parks much like you describe. Many will have playgrounds, sports fields, off leash parks, etc. My feeling is that it will be a pain in the butt for the next few years until all the work is done, but after that it will be a fantastic addition to the value of the neighborhood.
Sam,
The biggest effect I see is just the change in the neighborhood. People who like it as it is will be more likely to move elsewhere to capture what used to be. Folks looking for quick easy access to all the amenities will be drawn to the area. The turnover will be ongoing through construction and a few years after.
If you plan to live there through the construction phase, and the new facilities appeal to you and dealing with the building doesn't bother you, you should be fine.
If you need to sell in the midst of the messiest time that could be a problem you would want to avoid. Long term, parks are drawing cards.
Good luck in your purchase.
The available activities for the kids, singles & families is a plus but weigh it against traffic & noise with the larger volume attraction like the sports complex. Can you be close enough to enjoy the benefits of what is available without it affecting day to day life in the way of traffic & noise and/or loitering (hanging out activity)? These are things to think about down the road in the resale marketing end of your thoughts. Are you going to be able to extend a vision for desirability to the next prospective buyer - you may want to go there and walk around the area on different days at different times of the day to get a feel for the rhythm of the day to day life around the neighborhood which may help you in your decision-making. Want to Buy or Sell? Contact@Hubert-Team.com
The agents below have good points about lighting, garbage cans, etc. with that said I would say in (general) it will help your value considering the city does a good job of keeping it clean. It sounds cool, and families with kids will be drawn to it which is a large group of the buyers.
When looking at effects on something to the property values, it is best to look at the direct impact of that proposal on your property. For instance, if the driveway for the complex is directly across from your new house, or the garbage container is near your kitchen.

Or if your house is directly next to the facility, and it there is not a buffer between your property and the complex.

In the larger conxtex, I agree that public amenities add to the value of a houses.
It sounds like you are talking more about a large community park complex than an sports complex. Typically (Understanding that there are alway exceptions) a nice community feature like a park with ball fields, trails, skate park and wading pool will enhance the community appeal and help increase the property value.

Hope that helps!
I know how hard it is to get out of downtown on the fourth of July after the fireworks end. You could easily sit for an hour or longer due to so much traffic.

I can imagine that if you had a huge sports complex with tons of cars all trying to leave (or get in) at the same time it would be far worse. Think about the traffic problems it will bring with it.