Home Buying in Greenbrae>Question Details

Tm, Home Buyer in Mill Valley, CA

How does Greenbrae compare to Kentfield re: weather, home prices, proximity to amenities?

Asked by Tm, Mill Valley, CA Tue May 29, 2012

Answers

7
Greenbrae and Kentfield share the same school district, and Kentfield typcially commands a higher price then Greenbrae - both are extremely desirable communities in which to live - the only negative ever heard re. Greenbrae is that there is no real town, just Bon Air Shopping center -
but its good weather, proximity to Highway 101, and top ranked schools, will always make it a desirable investment.
Greenbrae and Kentfield have similar weather, with yearly lows of about 40 deg F and highs about 85 deg F. There may be more rain in Kentfied, but this dependes on which part of town--in the hills versus the level areas. In the last six months, the averae sale price of a house i Kentfeld was $2.1M and in Greenbrae $1.1M. Sold homes in Kentfield were larger (avg. 3,500 sq. ft.) compared to Greenbrae (2,266 sq. ft.). This translates to $597/sq. ft. in Kentfield verss $448/sq. ft in Greenbrae. Both towns are close to shopping, highway 101, and the Larkspur Ferry Terminal. If a house is in the hills of Kentfeld, everything is 5-10 mintes further by car.
Dear Tm,

To build on the wisdom of other contributors, Kentfield in particular, just like Mill Valley and somewhat unlike Greenbrae, has much greater variance in different areas/neighborhoods with community, climate, terrain, lifestyle, and pricepoint. There are also more homes available that are not on open market in Kentfield. I'd be pleased to review such opportunities on request.

Respectfully,
Roger Zipkin
Decker Bullock Sotheby's IR
415.383.0900
Hey Tm,

I've pulled together some pages for you which could help you compare Greenbrae and Kentfield more easily.

Greenbrae Home Prices and Market Trends: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Greenbrae-California/marke…

Kentfield Home Prices and Market Trends: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Kentfield-California/marke…

Greenbrae Amenities: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Greenbrae-California/

Kentfield Amenities: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Kentfield-California/

Let me know how I can help with anything else!

Andrew Wilkinson
Community Manager, Trulia Voices
andrew@trulia.com
Hi Tm,
Greenbrae and Kentfield share the same great school district, however, Greenbrae's average price for a single family home is: $1,120,000 where as in Kentfield the average is $2.229,863. (Condominiums are not calculated in the average price of a home.)
Kentfield does have larger estate like homes which drives the average cost of a home up. Greenbrae homes are more modest and as a result highly desirable. Both share the same ammenities as far as shopping, but Greenbrae is closer to the freeway.
Weather wise, Kentfield has slightly more extreme weather, meaning it is hotter then Greenbrae in the summer and recieves more rain in the winter. Greenbrae is closer to the water and recieves more of a breeze in the summer
Bottom line: Both are wonderful places to live you can not go wrong in either areas. It just really depends on your budget! Greenbrae, you get more bang for your buck housewise. The location of Kentfield, is further away from the freeway and homes tend to be bigger and are in a more natural setting. Keep in mind what I am saying is a very broad generalization!
i hope that helps!
Hi Tim, Kentfield, tends to the "wetest" part of Marin as far as winter rains go (but with Greenbrae being so close, it's not likley all that different). Summer weather will be similar. Home prices are typically higher in Kentfield. Greenbrae is closer to 101 and the ferry, but the towns share the same schools. Greenbrae as the Bon-air shopping center, but Kentfield is so close by.

If you are available, tonight at I will be giving a free seminar, talking about all the different towns in Marin, if you are interested, the info is here: http://www.MyMarinHouse.com

I'd also be more than happy to give you a personal driving tour of the areas if you are interested.

Liz McCarthy
415-250-4929
Hi Tm,

Being a Greenbrae resident myself I am happy to try to answer your question from my point of view. Personally I think Greenbrae is one of the best kept secrets in Marin. As a general rule, Greenbrae home prices are lower than those found in Kentfield. The Kentfield address adds some cache therefore usually higher prices. Children in both Greenbrae and Kentfield attend the Kentfield schools and have access to all the wonderful amenities that are offered. My children are now in college (one graduating in June) but I can attest to the excellent schools. The weather in the two communities is very similar and usually warmer than what is found in Mill Valley. Kent Woodlands probably gets more rainfall but the rain amounts in Greenbrae can be pretty similar. I think Greenbrae has better proximity to shopping, transportation, the city, East Bay etc. and is a shorter commute. Kentfield is closer to the wonderful hiking and biking trails.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong in either community and it might just depend on what you can afford. I moved to this area over 16 years ago from the East Coast and am so glad we made the choice we did. If I had it to do all over again, I would do just the same.

Please feel free to contact me with further questions or comments.

Bev Shwert, Realtor Alain Pinel 415-297-7811