Home Buying in Evergreen>Question Details

Rr, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

How does Evergreen School Compare with Irvington Schools - These are two different locations but it seems like the have similar API's?

Asked by Rr, Fremont, CA Mon Mar 1, 2010

WarmSprings/Horner/Irvington seems very comparable to Matsumoto/Chaboya/Evergreen High. Would one school district do better than the other in the longer run?

Answers

4
Another way to check it out would be to visit the schools as kids are being picked up from school or are walking home, and get a feel for how the kids "are" to see where you would feel best as far as the cultural fit. When test scores are similar, you can look for other factors that will make you and your family feel the best about living in a particular area.

Also ask about strengths of the schools and compare them to your own children's propensities. For instance, some schools are strong in math or science, other schools excel in English or drama. Or perhaps a strong soccer or basketball team if your child wants to play competitively or vie for a scholarship. All of these factors can play a role in the "BEST" place for your children.

I pulled the demographics from Greatschools.net, below, so you can look at a snapshot of each high school from that perspective.

Here are the demographics of Irvington:

Asian 49% 8%
White 27% 28%
Hispanic or Latino 13% 49%
African American 4% 7%
Filipino 4% 3%
Multiple or No Response 2% 3%
Pacific Islander 1% <1%
American Indian or Alaska Native <1% <1%

API: 830

Here are the demographics of Evergreen High School

Asian 49% 8%
Hispanic or Latino 24% 49%
Filipino 11% 3%
White 10% 28%
African American 4% 7%
Pacific Islander 1% <1%
Multiple or No Response <1% 3%

API: 838

Another set of schools I like, but the API scores are slightly lower, are Noble, Sierramont Middle & Piedmont Hills High School in 95132.

Wish you the best! If you choose San Jose/Evergreen, I am an excellent neighborhood realtor in this area. I'm not so strong in Fremont, but I can recommend Sunil Sethi, he has children school-age and knows a lot about the schools. With elementaries, you cannot necessarily get in even if you live across the street. So work with someone who understands these issues and can help you not only move to the right area, but sign up and register in time to get your kids into the schools!!

Erica Nelson
http://www.EricaNelsonEstates.com
DRE 01425475
New Listing: 3457 Outlook Court in San Jose's Noble, Sierramont Middle & Piedmont Hills High School zones
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 1, 2010
Rr,
CJ and Anna gave you great answers, I would do as Anna suggests and tour the schools get your questions answered, get the feel of how they operate, also find out what the schools offer as far as outside activies, and finally what fits better for what you feel will advance your children the most. I believe that this is the best way as you can see for yourself and make an informed choice rather than have the opinions of others sway your judgement.
As always feel free to contact me with any questions.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Since opinions can very often be objective--why not visit both districts, ask for a tour of the facilities, speak to the principal, teachers, ask all your questions, etc.,--then make a determination--where will your comfort level best be reached.
Rr --
The areas you mention have high scoring schools. Check out http://www.schoolperformancemaps.com for more detailed information on comparison.

The difference may be house prices. Currently Evergreen may be just slightly lower than Warm Springs.

Schools compare well. Now you factor in commute, convenience, age of house, and neighborhood desires.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com