Aimee Smith, Home Buyer in Kent, OH

How do you handle a rude realtor/seller?

Asked by Aimee Smith, Kent, OH Fri Mar 15, 2013

I recently inquired about veiwing a home, and after the realtor asked when id like to veiw it, he said " oh, it will be gone by then we get offers every day"....and how " it wasnt worth it for him to drive all the way out there (he lived about 35 mins away), and would pass my number on to someone closer. after about a week of no further response, i then email another realtor at the same company, and got a response, but then the man i originally spoke to emailed asking if the other lady had "followed up" with me. As if he was the one who let her know I was interested.

Answers

8
Not knowing anymore information than what you provided, I'm guessing it was a bank owned property? I'm also guessing you don't have your own Realtor? It's always a good idea to have your own buyer agent when looking for a house. That's the best way to "handle it." They do all this work for you, and you don't have to deal with all these different agents. Not all agents are created equal, unfortunately. And not all homes, showings or scenarios are treated the same for many different reasons.

If you continue to contact different ones, you will definitely get many different personalities and working styles. Also, it appears the agents you're contacting are working for the seller, not you. You should be working exclusively with a buyer agent you like and work well with. They will represent you the buyer and set up all the showings.

You should contact David Childress below, he's awesome and in your area!
Web Reference: http://www.YouShouldOwn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 15, 2013
Being a Realtor is a service industry. I agree with David. Let me suggest you find a Realtor who will work for you, instead of the listing agent. You will have someone who won't view you as a one time 35 mile drive.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 15, 2013
It takes all kinds in life and I am afraid that includes Realtors as well. You should contact someone outside their office as they don't seem to have the right attitude. Service is all we do and those that don't provide it should leave the business, imho. Good luck and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call or email me. My website is below.
Web Reference: http://www.davidc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 15, 2013
He may be accurate that the property could very well be gone by the time you see it, so it is always good to have a preapproval letter with you and look at a home within a day or two of it being listed. There is a shortage of inventory and homes that are priced right are sold very quickly.
No one should put up with abusive treatment, regardless of what your line of work. For those that feel they have the right to mistreat others......well, they are welcomed to find someone else to work with.

To answer your question, I let them be rude, and I do not respond in kind.

To comment on your situation, I suggest that you get your own Realtor®, and let them set up the showing appointments.

Aimee,
Like others have noted, most real estate professionals do not operate this way. An event such as you describe seems hard to understand when we all know this is a SERVICE dependent business.

Now, let's make an attempt to understand this agents behavior.
Overwhelmingly, the buyer for any property for sale will be represented by a real estate professional.
Those 'free range' buyers who contact the listing agent directly can and most correctly assumed to not be vetted. That means the are highly unlikely to have the funding for a home purchase. That is why they are not working with an agent. These 'free range' buyers, when able to snag the listing agent, invariably morph into a seeker of lease/option and owner financed deals.

Then there is the 'cash' buyer, (translated: can't get financing) who intends to offer 40% of tax assessed value and hopes magic will happen. All of these, as you can imagine, are not the individuals a real estate professional wants occupying their time. I think you can understand this.

When you read agent after agent after agent state , "You need to have a real estate professional helping you," you need to realize this is the key to getting ALL the doors opened for you.

Before you throw the subject agent under the bus, remember, you are ignoring the guidance so many knowledgeable agents are providing. So, what will you do?

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us

Clearwater, Dunedin, Palm Harbor Florida
Specializing in newer or well maintained, waterfront homes and condos.
Okay i understand your point, however we DO have an agent helping, but she had prior commitments the weekend we were available which was why I contacted the listing agent directly. As it turns out, they apparently arent "getting offers every day" because that was a month ago, and that house just came down $6,000 in price. At the time we were very interested in that property, but now veiw as a last resort. We were pretty much turned off by the agents complete lack of professionalism.
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
My advice is that if the Realtor isn't helpful, you walk away from this home altogether. This experience will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Find a good buyer's agent and go find a new home you'll love.