Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Bwentwor, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

How do you get more people to view your comparatively priced house in NE Austin?

Asked by Bwentwor, Austin, TX Mon Sep 24, 2012

My agent does not like open houses. My house is in the $160,000 to $180,000 range and is in great condition. Any ideas?

Answers

11
Your agent may not like open houses and that is fine, but if he or she has any associates that like to do them, that would work. At our office we do open houses for each other often. While many say open houses do not sell houses, I personally have sold a listing at an open house, and I also know of others who have as well. Advertising an open house on craigs list and the mls is a great way to get your house noticed. Also, your agent can do a broker open house where he invites other realtors. You will want to have food to get them there and it should be done during the week. Also, how do the pictures look? Great pictures will get people to the house. I am sure your agent is doing a great job and will get your house sold soon!!
Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Thanks Lisa for the encouragement! Maybe it is time for a new agent.
Flag Mon Sep 24, 2012
Value vs. price point is a discussion you should have with your Realtor. Being priced correctly will definitely start you with an advantage and generally more active prospective buyers.

Having your home in model condition is a definitive plus from the moment you put your home on the market. Also, having great pictures taken can also inhance viewings, since a majority - 80% or greater -of prospective buyers search on the Internet first.

We don't have showing companies in Austin, but an active number of showings is a good indication you are competively priced. The flip side is, if no offers are coming in with a good amount of traffic, price point may need to be reconsidered.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Bruce Lewis
Bruce@lewistxrealty.com
512-363-2184
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
I would suggest talking to your agent. How long has the home been on the market and on average how long does it take to sell a home in that subdivision? How many showings do you have vs other homes in the surrounding area? Your agent can get this general info from the showing company. How is your home compared to other similar homes in the area? Is it better or worse? Is it priced right?

Best of luck,

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Bwentwor,
In your post you state your home is in the $180K to $160K range. That's not a range that's a world apart, 12.5%. A home priced at $160K does not compare to one at $180K. You need to be marketed within 3% at most 5% of your acceptable sales price.
The possible solution is revisiting with your agents marketing strategy. There are a variety of factors that could be limiting the amount of showings you're receiving. If it's not the price or condition then it might be the location.

Just remember that more than 95% of buyers begin their search online, therefore you need to get people to view your home online based on the quality of pictures before they even get to your front doorstep.

Also think about narrowing expected price range, 20k is a big price range when trying to attract the right buyer.
Survey Says... Hire the right agent! Your agent is supposed to be 'the expert'. The one that knows you like your furniture and want to get the same price as the Jones' two doors down but in reality pacifying a client isn't the answer. I've seen many homes SIT on the market because their agent lacked the ability to show the owner WHY they hired him/her in the first place.

I've been in the industry 20 years and have been considered an expert on Real Estate. If a client tells me they can get more money I politely remind them why they hired me. I then tell them what will go and what will stay in the home. That star of Texas is a nice touch but having one on the front door, the doormat, over your garage and in your kitchen is tacky!

Everyone wants to buy low and sell high. I say Buy Right and Sell Right. What I mean is know your opportunity cost when you buy, then when you're ready to sell, stage it well, paint if necessary, fix those little annoying things like squeaky doors (it's called WD40 folks) and price it just below market value. In this market, homes that show well and are priced right can bring you multiple offers, sell faster and drive the price higher than you may have originally expected. Why? When buyers see a home that's well staged, well presented and priced slightly lower than the competition, they jump to right the offer because they see it as a bargain.

Joe Casey
Keller Williams

Joe Casey
Keller Williams
Lack of showings is usually due to price, condition, and or location. Also how extensive the marketing is and how good it is is key in today's marketplace. Regarding open houses, they do not typically sell homes. I have done over 500 open houses and it's sold maybe two homes during that time. Statistically, less than 1/10 of 1% of homes sold are sold due to an open house. I would take a look at your marketing with your realtor, make sure it's very good, and possibly reassess your pricing as well. A lot of Sellers think the house is priced competitively, when in reality it is not and they have not taken emotion out of the equation. You have to look at the house from the buyer's point of view and see what else buyers can buy for the same amount of money. Hope that helps and good luck… Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty, 512-261-4415
Google your address and see how many web sites your home comes up on. Look at the photos in the MLS...are they the best they can be? If you have good exposure, then the agent may not be the problem..it could be the price, overall condition, staging, photos, location, etc. Just because other agents "like" open houses isn't a good reason to do them as there are inherent problems with open houses, especially if the house is occupied. I haven't done open houses in over 10 years and both my personal flips and my client's homes sell just fine so don't put too much emphasis this marketing strategy. How many homes per month are selling in your community? How many houses are for sale in your community? These are things that must be considered in the bigger picture.

My guess is that people are viewing your home...they're just doing it online. If they don't like what they see or don't believe it provides good value, they're not going to schedule a personal visit.
You get a realtor that is willing to market your house better if that's what you are needing. Let me know if you need help, although if you signed a contract to only work with that realtor then you have to just work with that realtor. Before finding someone else though, you should communicate with your agent and tell him your needs, if he doesn't want to put in the extra time then perhaps it's best to go with one you can be on the same page with. Good luck!
If you have no showings, the house is overpriced. If you want open house events, you should have asked your agent before listing is he/she does that. Some agents do and some don't. The ideas should come from your agent, but most likely you will have to drop the price.
I expected someone would naturally assume the house is overpriced despite comparable properties saying the contrary.
Flag Mon Sep 24, 2012