eLiz, Home Seller in Atlanta, GA

How do you find out which agents have sold homes recently? Researched comparables, but can't find who sold which homes in the area.

Asked by eLiz, Atlanta, GA Fri Dec 17, 2010

I want to sell and want an agent familiar with and actively getting results in Wedgefield, FL Can find homes that have been sold but no info on who did the sales. Agents that have contacted me so far have been in the "low ball, we will take it off your hands, site unseen, don't bother to clear it out" category. They are not for me. This home is in excellent shape, mortgage free, and I just want a fair price, as I live out of state.

Answers

15
If a property is not priced on target for today's market, and if marketing does not maximize exposure, it doesn't matter who the listing agent is....therefore, consider contacting a few local agents, or as many as needed, from different realty offices and interview them in person, then choose the one you like best and the one who has the most to offer--choose your agent with care--and at the same time do keep in mind that a home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it; it doesn’t matter what the seller needs or potential buyers can afford to spend. Market conditions do matter as does the immediacy for a transaction to take place. In setting a price, it is in the seller’s best interest to focus on the current market conditions in conjunction with general economic value projections over the next six months.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
As others noted, that information is in the MLS, but not (as far as I'm aware) available elsewhere.

If you were living in the same area as the home you want to sell, I'd suggest driving around that community and nearby communities to see who the most active listing agents are. That's not an absolute guarantee that they're the most successful at actually pricing the homes to sell, but it's a real good start.

The individual agent is more important than the company he/she is affiliated with. Both are important but given a choice between a top listing agent with a smaller company and an average agent with the dominant company, I'd choose the top agent.

You say the folks who have contacted you have been in the "low ball, we will take it off your hands, sight unseen." Those aren't agents. Those are real estate investors. There's nothing wrong with what they do, and many owners are willing to sell for a lower price in order to sell quickly and without having to fix the place up. Other owners, however, want what you call "a fair price." And that's fine, too.

Hope all that helps.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
The information you seek is available on the MLS through an agent, of course it is kind of rude to use an agent to glean off the info without any thought of considering using them.

I suggest it isn't always the listing agent may not be the only consideration. I had an owner that had their home listed in that area that called me because I had shown their home to more people in one week than their agent did in 4 months.

I find the interest in Wedgefield / Rocket City is there because it appeals to those that wants the proximity to the city but with the larger lots and more rural feel. With your home being nice It will be important to get multiple exposure in several areas. To have good pictures, and to make sure the listing is complete. Many agents are pretty lazy at doing their job. that is my personal pet peeve. if you take a listing do it right.

With you being absent it is good to have agents that will keep the home tidy. It only takes a little time to keep a place presentable.

A means to see who is in the area is to tour a home for sale and see what agents are dropping cards showing them... that is far more important than who listed it...IMHO For me I am in close proximity and find I show homes there. I have a client that was just in town seeking homes approved for USDA loans... it's funny what can cause an appeal

Ken Anderson
http://www.apexonerealty.com
321-246-3190
Hello Elizabeth,

It has been some time since you posted your original question and I am curious to see if you ever found a particular agent to work with you in helping sell your home, or if you decided to wait. I think that all the previous agents gave you great pieces of advice. I think pricing will be one of your strongest issues to consider in the current market. After taking a new listing in Wedgefield 2 weeks ago, there are often factors outside of price and condition to consider, as we have received feedback that the distance of Wedgefield from East Orlando and downtown Orlando is simply too far for some buyers. This does not mean that a listing will not eventually sell. But sometimes patience can be your biggest virtue when location may not work for a percentage of potentially interested buyers. On the flip side, most of Wedgefield while having deed restrictions has a voluntary HOA and is a strong appealing element when the rest of the surrounding areas do have mandatory HOA's and fees. All of these factors should be considered when pricing a listing and an experienced agent will discuss these challenges and benefits when listing your house.
Dear Elizabeth,
You can find out through the MLS with a Realtor's help who has sold proerpties in your area. You may also find out through Realtor.com. I am not too sure that it really matters which agents have sold properties as much as it does to price it right to sell. Even some properties priced well to sell are still not selling. Realtors can provide you with a comparable market analysis, which should provide you with the information you seek. You could pay for an appraisal, but that price could change and less effective in 6 months. Have you thought about renting it with the assistance of a licensed professional property manager? This is a great option in this market for some one who lives out of state.
Pam Tucker
Veteran Real Estate
pamtucker01@aol.com
http://pamtucker.mfr./mlxchange.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
Ok made it back to my office to run the numbers on properties listed/pended/sold in the Wedgefield community.

Since August 1, 2010, 47 total properties, 40 being handled by companies other than Keller at 7 with only 2 of the remaining 7 sold as of today.

Now to get a complete picture you need to dig deeper to see listed verses sold price, days on market etc...

Again I would go the 'Market Valuation Report' way, the only difference between it and a full appraisal is it can't be used for a loan; mortgage companies use this method of valuation when determining if it makes since to even start the complete loan process on a questionable property if they can't find comps before bring in an appraiser and pay $300 to $400 dollars.

If the property is in excellent condition and price at market value it will sell!

Today I'm a big proponent of dealing with a mom and pop organization, as a top producer with the largest brand name real estate company out there I understood the power of the internet early on.

Today over 90% of buyers start their search online before they contact a Realtor or real estate company, much like Elizabeth has done giving mom and pop organizations like myself a level playing field in competing for their business. In the beginning of the internet real estate movement agents had to upload properties listed through them one by one on the various real estate based web sites keeping agent participation low. But now just by placing a property on the MLS and using a few key paid services an agent or company now has their properties IDX'ed to thousands of sites, even the brand name company sites.

Elizabeth, search for one of my properties and most any real estate based website and you'll see for yourself or search for one of theirs on mine and again you will get complete details.

Now having said this and not necessarily in any order below are what I feel make up the last parts of the equation in determining what agent will best do the job,

1) Their personal knowledge and passion of the real estate market,
2) Knowledge of internet marketing,
3) Negotiating skills,
4) Do the title company, mortgage company (if needed) and subcontractors they recommend get the job done helping to get you to closing,
5) Messing of personalities between the seller or buyer and the agent they choose and that agent's ability to work with other agents

and the list goes on, oh and I was just down the road from Wedgefield today in Avalon with a buyer but ended up on Boggy Creek where he found a house he wanted.

Just my rambles and hope it helps,

Dave Lowe, Broker
GRI, ePRO

Community and Family Values
Web Reference: http://OrlandoHomeStore.com
Only way determine who sold homes in that one given area is based on MLS (which only for Realtors usage) conduct a search.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hi Again,

Unfortunately I don't see anything that will increase demand for properties so if you delay another year to sell your property you may get significantly less. If you can hold on to it for more than 5 to 10 years, then hopefully we will have more buyers who can qualify to purchase a home. I wish I had a crystal ball and I don't have a PhD in Economics from Harvard but from the trenches I don't see any real increase in demand and only a possible avalanche of foreclosures.

Hope this helps.

All my best,
Alma
It is no doubt frustrating to have a home paid for and have watched your equity position drop drastically over the past few years. Sellers of excellent homes in great locations are finding the going a bit rough. Today (most) sales are driven by "PRICE" and not location or condition. The market is flooded with homes and buyers are squeezing sellers like a wash rag. Your home WILL sell! But only at the right price. Don't be afraid to get an appraisal if you have the money. It might be just what you need to decide, NOW is NOT the best time to market your property.
I do like hearing that Keller Williams sells the Most homes in your area; being a Keller Williams agent. :)
I suggest getting a 'market valuation report', it's a step below a full appraisal using the same data and formulations again as a full appraisal the difference is the cost of $75 versus $300 to $400.

Hope this helps,

Dave Lowe, Broker
GRI, ePRO

Community and Family Values
Hi Elizabeth,

It may be worth spending $300 to get an appraisal to determine your "current" value. Appraisers are the most qualified to give you a real estimate of what your house is worth in this market.

Then after getting the appraisal in your hands, talk to 3 realtors and ask them for their CMA. If a Realtor is either too higher or low from the appraisal then they may not have a good feel for what the market values are in that neighborhood.

Then hire a cleaning company to go out to the house to ensure the house is spotless and you would feel comfortable eating off of the floors. Make sure the landscaping is pristine, too. If you have old or shoddy furniture you'll be better off selling it vacant. If the furniture looks nearly new, keep it inside but declutter, declutter, declutter, less is more. All of the interior paint needs to look fresh and clean and neutral, too.

An agent will help you with giving advice on how best to "stage" your house or you can also hire an outside staging company to help.

good luck!
Alma
Elizabeth,

It's about marketing and negotiating on your behalf, I've help out of state sellers and would like to talk to you about your property.

As a top producer with Coldwell Banker I decided it was time to open my own brokerage, the internet has made it possible to compete on a level marketing field with the larger companies.

Call me at 407-330-0060,

Dave Lowe, Broker
Graduate Realtor Institute, Internet Professional

Community and Family Values
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
Elizabeth:
No better source than Trulia to find good agents. I searched under Find a Pro and found Gay Middleton, here is her link http://www.trulia.com/profile/id/57075.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Hi Elizabeth,

Very easy for a realtor to do. Contact me directly with the property address and I'll check for you.

Regards, Mark
Elizabeth:

I just did a check and it looks like Keller Williams sells the most in that area. Call me or send me your e-mail and I will be happy to forward their info to you.

Paulette Korr
407-592-6356