Rob, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

How do you find an agent to meet your needs.?

Asked by Rob, San Diego, CA Thu Dec 11, 2008

We had been working with a very very nice agent who was recommended by a friend but were completely unable to communicate and ended up feeling very frustrated and depressed. Other friends know people they are recommending but we don't want to have the same thing happen over again. We are looking over a very broad area of the city, and further, so it isn't really applicable to find one who is specialized in a certain area. I'm also uncomfortable seeking out a complete stanger because I don't want to get locked into a situation where I am frustrated again. We did not have a contract or agreement with our last agent but realize the next one will most likely expect this. Also, if you have been pre-approved by a mortgage broker that was recommended by the other agent do you have to get pre-approved again with another broker? We know what we are looking for don't know how to find the right person to help us. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Answers

9
Rob,

To find agents, prospective agents: Use REALTOR.com to view agents in the neighborhood. When you go into an office talk with ALL the agents not just with the floor agent. Keep all your antennae out and ask questions to determine honesty and intelligence. Dialog. There is no cookbook so use your senses.

When you dialog talk about VA, listen carefully. Specialties(badges) indicate but they DON'T guarantee. Most real estate "specialists" are generalists who think they're strong in "X".
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 12, 2008
Rob,

One of the nice features about Trulia is the forum allows individuals to get to know agents before meeting them. How the think...What they value....How they operate...what they believe etc.simply by participating in Trulia's Q & A segment.

This is a real vehicle for buyers and sellers to gather valuable insight that goes far beyond asking or responding to real estate questions. This is an opportunity that people can use to help themselves gather important information about the people they will be working closly with during one of their most important "life experiences."

Go Trulia
Hello, I am a certified USAA agent. I have a network of agents out there that are USAA certified as well. You need to have a qualified agent help you get your benefits. You can use the same mortgage company or switch. You are not locked in until you have made an offer on a home and pay for the appraisal. Let me know if I can help get you in touch with these agents. I will need price range of homes, types of homes, preferred move date, and a list of items to get you to the right person.

-Cheryl Supplee
610-812-6575
csupplee@cbpref.com
What is the best way to find agents to "interview"? We are easily approved for a VA loan, and though I understand some of the drawbacks, I do like that you do not need to pay PMI with a VA loan (first time home buyers in San Diego with no rich relatives- 20%, not likely) and although we could probably "qualify" for much more we are very comfortable with the max VA that we can easily pay for the next 30 years. If that is what we are interested in do we look for a realtor who specializes in VA or is it more important to find a realtor who shares our mind set and can work with VA?
Hi Rob: Sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with the home buying process. My recommendation to you is to first meet with a couple of agents and have a nice conversation and see if you "click" with the agent. Sellers usually meet with a couple of agents before listing their home, so it would make sense for buyers to meet some agents before jumping in the car and go looking for houses. It sounds like you know what you want in a house, it is just the agent that is puzzling you. Don't feel you have to be "locked" into a situation in which you are not comfortable.

If you are pre-approved with a mortgage broker you do not have to be pre-approved again.

Please feel free to call me if you have further questions....Good Luck...Maria Weiss 858-248-0863
Web Reference: http://www.mariaweiss.com
Rob,

The only fear you need have is of fear itself, to coin a phrase. Finding a buyer's agent can be difficult but is well worth your effort, think in terms of thousands of dollars. Bonnies says "interview", she's right. Friends and associates will always recommend the agent they've used if that agent didn't kick them in the face - hard. You're looking for more than simply not harming you, you want help.

There is no option but to seek someone you don't know. If it hurts to meet and appraise agents understand that the choice is to arbitrarily select someone. Fear of failure is always there but it shouldn't be a driver. Trust in your intuition, it helps you select dentists, lawyers, gardeners and all the other folks you deal with.

Both Scott and Bonnie are right about your mortgage broker.
Hi Rob,

Shoot me an email with your general information and I will have an agent contact you asap to schedule an interview. I work for Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, we have one of the largest referral networks in the Country, and would be happy to assist.

Lori.Rossi@NeMoves.com
Rob you need to let any agent you interview what you expect from them and what they should expect from you. then simply put if your expectations both meet then you have found your agent. dont settle.... as far as a mortgage broker you can use who ever you want, you dont have to keep switching. just stay away form internety lenders, us a local and trusted person.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Rob,
The best way to find an agent that you will be comfortable with is to INTERVIEW SEVERAL. Talk to the ones who were recommended to you and ask them specific questions that YOU know are important to YOU! Be honest with them and let them know that you are interviewing several agents to find the "perfect match". You don't have to switch lenders just because you switched agents-unless you feel you will find a better package elsewhere.