C Galley, Home Seller in 84532

How do you find an agent that will take less than the "going rate" for commission, without insulting them?

Asked by C Galley, 84532 Fri Jan 10, 2014

We would like to sell our home and have enough money "leftover" to buy another. Yet with the commission rate locally included in the price we are asking to much for the house and there isn't much wiggle room to work with prospective buyers.

Answers

17
Well C Galley - looks like you just got a definitive answer to your question from John!!

You asked how to find someone.............you just did!

Best wishes..........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 10, 2014
Sit down in person and discuss this.

All commissions are negotiable...some agents may be more negotiable than others, so you need to interview a few agents, and see what they say.

It's possible your expectations may be unrealistic, but you won't know until you explore this further.

Just make sure you get a written marketing plan so that you know what will be done on your behalf.
Even the lowest commission may be "too much" if it isn't productive in getting your home sold.

Best wishes.....

ps
it's not an "insult" to ask, and open a dialogue!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 10, 2014
Just be honest with them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 10, 2014
The most important question to ask an agent is what is the real value of your home is and in their professional opinion, what do they think you will NET after their commission, transfer tax, attorney fees, etc., etc. It's not the commission you should be focusing on, but rather how the agent you interview will go about getting you the best price for your home. Once you hire the right agent to find a buyer who will pay the best price for your home, and one that can get a mortgage, then you will know what you have to work with for your next move. I suggest you speak to Joshua Stern and be honest -- he will tell you the truth. Good Luck !
http://www.kw.com/kw/agent/joshuasternteam
Hi!
Give me a call (801)6414123,I might have an alternative to your predicament.
To answer your question, all real estate commissions are negotiable. 6% is know as an industry standard. However there are many agents, myself included, that will offer a discount to clients that are selling and buying. I would recommend interviewing a few agents to see who is the best fit for you and your family and to see who you think will do the best job.

If you have any questions, or would like to receive a complimentary home evaluation to see what your home is worth in today's market, feel free to contact me through trulia or my info is below.

Best of luck!

Daimon Bushi
801-859-8566
http://www.uthomes4you.com
Daimon@uthomes4you.com
Web Reference: http://www.uthomes4you.com
Look for those who advertise this way, and compare what they offer to what you expect out of your Realtor. Chances are if you convince a 6% agent to take a cut rate, they're going to try less hard. However, there are many agents out there, myself included, who openly advertise a lower rate.

I never list a house for more than 4.5% (1.5% for me, 3% for the buyer's agent). If you're also buying a new home, I will sell your current one for free and simply make my commission on the new purchase.

Feel free to check out my website and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm here to help.

John Roberts
Principal Broker
Revolution Real Estate
http://www.UtahRevolution.com
(801) 810-4253
I don't know, C.

I've heard people in all sorts of situations - people who have a lot of equity and feel that because they have flexibility, they don't need to pay a full commission; people who are like you and are squeezing to make it to the next step needing to avoid paying a full commission . . . it seems to me, if you want professional real estate brokerage services, then you have to be prepared to pay for them.

I don't know if it's true that you "get what you pay for," but I am certain that you can only HOPE to get what you pay for.

As with anything, you want to find the person that is the right "fit" for you, and that fit includes personality, communication styles and cost. I approach my client relationships as just that. ..a relationship over time, not just a single transaction.

You want to work with someone who will provide great service and also help you achieve your goals. ...I'm happy to go over some ideas with you!

Wendy Starling
Starling Real Estate
801.759.1775
Wendy@starlingrealestate.com
My old granddad always said "You Get What You Pay For!" Not sure who the wise philosopher who he was quoting was but I bet you could "Google It." I mean, you get so much information on trivial things like that. Even better you can pretty much find out how to do almost anything possible... Regardless of how complex or expensive.

Okay, enough joking around. My BEST advice is to meet with a few Brokers and Agents. Discuss your situation and be honest with yourself about the true value of the home. But most importantly, be honest with yourself about the true value of partnership you will be creating when you do ultimately select a partner to help you sell your home.

As the President-Elect of the Utah Council of Residential Specialists I have a wealth of knowledge and experience in this field. If I can be of any service, please let me know.

Thank you for using Trulia Q & A

Kristopher Furrow, REALTOR®
-"AB" Associate Broker, "CRS" Certified Residential Specialist
Windermere Real Estate - Utah - Salt Lake City - Park City
Kristopher's Direct Line: 801.999.8679
Office Help Now Line: 801.485.3151
Email: kris@nowshowingutah.com
It's best just to ask. Have an agent do a CMA for you, to find out what the market is in your area. You will have a much better idea what you have to work with. I am happy to work with you!
Casey Coleman
Equity Advantage
801-865-3372
Utah's Best Realty offers a "Sell for Free" Program to help sellers such as yourselves. You still get our exclusive "Prestige Marketing Plan" to market your home and get to keep as much of your equity as possible. If interested in information, please don't hesitate to call or email.

David Wilson
CRS, GRI, SFR, SSE
Principal Broker/Owner
Utah's Best Realty
801-577-6062
http://www.UtahsBestRealty.com
A good agent is not always driven by "money" but rather sees every client as an opportunity to build long term relationship and get referrals. I would just be as honest as possible and let your real estate agent know upfront about how much commission you are comfortable paying.
Great question! However, are you sure that getting a discount Realtor is actually going to save you money? Will the discount agent actually know how to squeeze top dollar out of a home? Or will they even be willing to, rather than sell it for less for a faster closing (aka paycheck)? You have to ask yourself, WHY are they willing to work for a discount?... I have many clients who worked with a discount agent prior to listing with me, and ALL off them needed to be rescued. Many discount agents also have "discounted services." When listing a home, the buyers agent needs to be offered a full commission as well, otherwise why would they show your home when they can go show the home down the street and get paid more?

Obviously, there are many great agents out there, but these are questions worth considering. Is a discount agent really saving you money?

If you'd like to have a discussion to see if I can serve your needs as a seller, I'd be more than happy to do so. Thanks!

Dustin Brohm
"Salt Lake's Favorite REALTOR"
801-455-8753
Equity Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.dustinbrohm.com
Hi C Galley,

Are you selling a home in Moab? Just wondering because you have a Moab zipcode next to your name.
I'm sure there are Realtors in the area. I can check for you to help you find a good agent there.

You've posted this in the "Home Buying in Salt Lake City" on the Trulia site. So, is this where you'll be moving to? Let me know how best I can assist you through the home buying & selling process.
Hello C Galley,

Many people are in your position right now wondering where they can squeeze out an extra penny to help them on their journey to buying anew home.

Many of the answers I have ready below are great. It is true that on a whole, Realtors are not insulted easy. Part of our job is Sales and Negotiating. All transactions should be a Win Win for all involved.

Have you met with an agent to find out the value of your home? I work for Keller Williams over here in Portland, OR. Out of the top 8 offices in the State of Oregon, Keller Williams is 4 of them. I know we have offices in Salt Lake as well.

If you are still looking to sell your home fast and for top dollar, let me know. I would be happy to refer you to a Keller Williams associate in your area that can work with you to make selling your home a Win Win as well.

Amber Deuchar
Keller Williams Realty Portland Premiere
503-349-6204
I wouldn't worry too much about insulting them. It's a reasonable question, and should be met with a reasonable reply.

Some agents will negotiate their commission, others will not, and the only way to find out is to ask the question.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201