Stephanie Ir…, Real Estate Pro in Los Angeles, CA

How do you feel about listing agents who request "No Phone Calls" in private remarks, and only want to be contacted via text or email?

Asked by Stephanie Irto, Los Angeles, CA Tue Aug 6, 2013

I'd like to hear opinions of both other agents, and sellers. Sellers, are you aware of what your agent has listed in the private remarks section, or how they are handling inquiries from cooperating brokers? Agents, how do you handle situations when you simply cannot get a returned phone call or email, from either the office or cell numbers?

Answers

10
Great question! I hate it! If you don't want to talk with people on the phone then you are in the wrong job! There are things between agents that can get cleared up in 2 minutes of voice to voice time that would take oodles of back and forth by text and email.

What I do know is that some agents abuse the phone and will call other agents for dumb reasons. I've often received calls from agents who can't be bothered to look up information themsevles and instead interrupt my day.

I do believe ultimately though is that Realtors should interact with one another, and that if a phone call is needed - it should be possilbe to have one. I've gone as far as calling an agent's broker if I've spend days trying to contact an agent and can't get ahold of them.

Talking to one another - it's part of our job. Realtors need to treat one another like we treat our clients.
I think texting is great. Much better than phone calls, not even mentioning voice mails. I certainly respect agents who says just texting or e-mailing me. I would prefer the same.
ml
I don't think listing agents are aware their constant unavailability is costing them reputation in the marketplace, and Buyer's agents money. Agents only attempt to make contact because their client is genuinely interested. By the same token, clients don't forget the questions they have asked and need answered before proceeding with an offer. When I tell my clients I have no answer because the office and/or agent won't return my calls, texts, and emails - they are no longer interested. What's more, they take note of the company and agent's name. When future listings are produced for viewing, they'll ask from which company, or say - "that's not with so-and-so is it?" Their impression is clear. If a simple question cannot be answered, they fear what may follow.
I really don't care about what the agent prefers or how they state it in the listing. As long as they respond!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 21, 2013
I do not think agents should say: "No phone calls, just text or emails". Better to say: "Prefer text or emails" or "easiest way to contact me is by texting or emails"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 21, 2013
How do you feel about clients who don't want to take phone calls, and only want to communicate via text or email?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Hi Stephanie,
Great question! I will text them, and ask for a quick phone call. If that doesn't work, then I will call their managing broker to see if they can help answer the question. If it is a multiple offer scenario, the managing broker should know about it and be overseeing the transaction.
Best Success,
Kim
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
It used to be that the truly arrogant businessman, Attorney or Politician, kept you at arms-length simply by not granting you an "audience", an appointement to mett face-to-face:
Still is, I guess.

But the new protocal is that you can carry a deal, from start to finish, LISTING to CLOSING, without ever meeting or talking to anyone!
You can get more done this way; you can "handle" 20 deals at a time.
This way of conducting business was fomented by the tidal wave of REOs from banks, to certain Realtors who developed "teams" of specialists: They could safely say that they are "selling" 100 houses a month.

I guess, you get what you create!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
As a rather young agent myself (lol) I like text messages for scheduling an appointment. Email is a better for follow-up AFTER the client sees the house.

Len
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
Hi Stephanie,

It is a individual situation. But personally thing a Realtors asset is availability. Meaning being available via telephone, text and email. Realtor should always give quick responses.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty Marina del Rey
310.853.9933
Thanks Leonard. I agree, I love texting and emailing too. I was mainly referring to agents who refuse to take phone calls AND don't respond to texts and emails either, after requesting it as the method of contact.