Home Buying in Phoenixville>Question Details

Rebecca, Home Buyer in Phoenixville, PA

How do we find a good, conscientious agent who wants to work with us?

Asked by Rebecca, Phoenixville, PA Fri Aug 21, 2009

We are first-time home buyers and we started looking at houses in June. We signed on with the listing agent of the first house we looked at...we liked him and he presented as a real go-getter. Within a week of meeting him, he passed us on to one of his "team members." We've lost incredible amounts of time because agent never knows the answers to our questions. He always has to ask someone else and then get back to us, wasting at least another day in our search. We lost weeks because no one on his "team" would help us when he was on vacation, even though he said they would. We believe these problems have cost us legitimate opportunities. We're really frustrated and we think at least part of the issue is that we're not big-ticket clients, so we're relegated to the back burner in this sudden glut of home buyers. What are our options for finding someone else and had can we find someone who is willing to help us in spite of the lower commission they'll get on our deal?

Answers

14
Mika Lisiewski’s answer
Rebecca-
I would love to help you out. I am a very honest and dependable. I do not have a large client base right now so, I would be able to give you extra attention. I love the Phoenixville area and would enjoy helping you find something great in your price range (no matter what that is!!)

Mika D. Lisiewski
REALTOR
Century 21 Alliance
630 Germantown Pike
Lafayette Hill, PA 19444
office: 610-828-2700 ext.275
cell: 610-226-5727
Licensed in PA RS308999
I'd love to interview for the position. References available on my profile.
Thank you Sean I appreciate that. :)

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
Re/Max Results Realty
Phoenixville's Home Town Realtor
Top Agent 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
610-999-7693 Direct
610-489-7355 Main Office
Sellinghomesjenn@aol.com
Hi, Rebecca!

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with an agent. Home buying, especially for first time home-buyers, should be an exciting and wonderful experience.

Did you sign a Buyers Agency Contract with the agent? If so, speak to your agent and the broker about your experiences. If you wish, they should be able to release you from the contract based on the fact that their services were unsatisfactory to you. All clients deserve personal attention from the agent, no matter what the price range.

If you have not signed a Buyers Agency Contract, then you are free to search for another agent.

Has anyone explained the Buyers Agency Contract to you and what it means?

When searching for a real estate professional, think of yourself as an employer searching for an employee. If you think about it, an agent is truly your employee, working for you to assist you in searching for a home and purchasing it. Therefore, you should interview agents and choose the one that you feel you can trust and feel comfortable with. You should be informed every step of the way of the home buying process and someone should be able to answer your questions in a timely fashion. Would you pay an employee if they did not complete their job in a satisfactory manner? I'm sure you would fire them on the spot if they did not perform their expected tasks. A real estate agent is no different.

I wish you the best for your home-buying experience.

Hope this information helps.

Brigita McKelvie, REALTOR, e-PRO, GRI
Residential, Rural And Horse Properties
Keller Williams Real Estate, Bethlehem, PA
Office: 610-867-8888 Direct: 610-393-9424
E-mail: brigita@brigitamklv.com
Web: http://www.RuralAndHorseProperties.com
Blog: http://activerain.com/blogs/brigitam
Hi Rebecca. I am SO very sorry to hear of your frustrating experience. You've gotten some GREAT advice from my colleagues below.

I wanted to reiterate that, before hiring a Buyer's Agent for yourself (which is a Realtor that works for you, the Buyer, looking out for YOUR best interests), you really should interview 2-3 of them (ask for referrals from friends, family members....or consider contacting some of us who actively post here on Trulia:).....as you learned, you will be spending quite a bit of time with your Realtor and you need to "click" with that person.....you need to know that your Realtor will be responsive as well as knowledgeable!

One other thing to keep in mind: check out each Realtor's website. Not only will you get a feel for the person, they way they work, the importance they place on client service, their experience and background, etc., but you should also see their Mission Statement (that is, why is s/he in Real Estate? what are their values? (ex. honesty, integrity, etc.). This is important. In addition, be sure to check out the Realtors' profiles here on Trulia....and read some of their responses. (Feel free to check out my website at http://www.JudysFineHomes.com...and pls let me know what you think about the information I've provided there:)

I would love to chat with you at your needs....and, of course, to vie for the coveted position of YOUR Realtor/Buyer's Agent. Feel free to call me on my cell at (610) 324-5240. I look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck and blessings to you...........

Warmly,
Judy

Judy May, Esquire, REALTOR
"A Refreshingly Different Real Estate Experience"
http://www.JudysFineHomes.com
http://www.CollegevilleAreaHomes.com
Judy.May@Century21.com

CENTURY 21 Alliance
2828 Audubon Village Dr
Audubon PA 19403
O: (610) 666-0202 x. 226
C: (610) 324-5240 (preferred)
F: (610) 666-1942

Search 1000s of homes!
http://www.CollegevilleAreaHomes.com
Hi Rebecca,
What I always advise first time home buyers is to interview the agent or agents that they may be working with. See if you communicate well together and also see if they are listening to your wants and needs. I just gave a First Time Home Buyers Seminar Last night at Victory Bank in Limerick! I'm so sorry you missed it.
If you would like to sit down with me and we can discuss what you are looking for I would be more then happy to help you!
Please feel free to contact me directly!
Have a great afternoon!

Kimberly Collins
Realtor, ABR

Keller Williams Realty Group
O: 610-792-5900 Ext 8177
F: 610-792-8131
C: 610-476-7519
E-Mail: Kimberly.collins@kw.com

"A Refreshing Real Estate Experience"
Hello Rebecca,

I just want to clarify if you are looking to buy in Phoenixville, or Philadelphia?

Ok, well I also want to say that I am sorry that you are going through this.

You state that you signed on with the listing agent. Did you sign a buyer broker agreement? If so, did it state who you would be working with? If not, and you are unhappy, you should express this to your agent and if you want to work with a new agent, your agent should have no problem releasing you from your agreement if you feel he is not working in your best interest. If he gives you a problem, you can always talk with his broker about being let out of your agreement.

You always have the right to contact an attorney.

It shouldn't matter how much you can spend on the home. Your agent should only be concerned with what is best for you, not him.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com

I'd be happy to explain buyer agency to you more in detail.

I hope this helps you.
Rebecca,

Jennifer has some activity on trulia and you might want to go through her previous posts to get to know her more. I do not know her but she might be a good match. I always suggest people go under the find a realtor tab on this website and read up on some agents that are in the area of interest.

Sean
Hello Rebecca,

I'm really sorry your experience was such a problem. I love working with first time homebuyers and as a first time home buyer you should be excited about the entire process! The agent you choose should be available to answer your questions in a timely manner. Also its always great to work with an agent one on one who isn't going to have other Realtors working for him/her. That way you have their full attention.

It is very important to have a FULL-TIME Realtor and one who is very experienced in the area you want to purchase! I would love to see you settle on a home by November 30th as that is the current tax credit deadline! I would be more than happy to begin assisting you but there is a process to negotiate out of the current broker agency that you have. We should go over your wants and needs, your comfortable price range, your pre-approval for a mortgage and then get you started! There are many great homes available NOW! Prices do seem to be rising a bit so you have chosen a great time to purchase!

If I can assist you please let me know.

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
Re/Max Results Realty
Phoenixville's Home Town Realtor
Top Agent 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
610-999-7693 Direct
610-489-7355 Main Office
Sellinghomesjenn@aol.com
Hello Rebecca,

I am sorry to hear that your experience has not been as anticipated. i would love to apply for the job of being your agent. Feel free to give me a call or email me and we can set up a time to meet and discuss how I (not a team) can give you the attention you deserve.
Greg

Greg Parker, CRS
Coldwell Banker Realty Professionals
Office 610-277-5000 Ext. 249
Direct 610-994-1147
greg.parker@coldwellbanker.com
Hi Rebecca

I like to say is if you signed with that other agent you have to speak to him/her about how you feel and see if they will release your contract with his Broker. That is really the first thing you should do. Than look for another agent. I am sure you have heard over and over how an agent will be. I always think talk is cheap! so with that said if you would like to give me an opportunity than you can contact me. I hope this will help!

Sincerely:Dawn Fussell
Rebecca,

I would like to suggest you take a look at this Blog which has many fine suggestions about interviewing an agent, things to look for ect..
http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/12/i_ve_got_my_fin…

You are hiring someone who provides services that can affect what may be your largest financial commitment during your life time and making decisions that will have an impact on every member of your immediate family. Every minute, hour, hour, day you spend making sure you find the right Agent to work with is worth it......

Good luck, Dunes
Doesnt matter if you are not "big ticket" clients. The only thing that matters if you are serious about buying. Sometimes buyers like to go out looking and really are not serious.

Sounds like you have a plan. What are you looking for in terms of a home? Beds/bath price? If you prefer to chat over email you can email me at sean.dawes@longandfoster.com

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have even though I am not in Phoenixville. I can find someone for you and will not ask for a referral fee from that agent. So I assure they are making 100% of the commission not a percentage like what was being done previously to you.

Just want to help you get in a home.

Sean Dawes