Home Buying in Staten Island>Question Details

Mickey, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

How do the new construction homes compare in quality to the re-sale homes?

Asked by Mickey, Staten Island, NY Fri Nov 15, 2013

Are buyers finding defects after the purchase that require maintenance? How are builders following up after the money has changed hands more than 6 months after the sale? Are there quality issues that anyone can point to that a buyer should consider? What type of inspection should a buyer consider, if any, before signing a contract?

Gary R. DeFilippo’s answer
Mickey: It all depends on the house and the care and condition of it. Most older homes, especially those built more than 50 years ago, were built much stronger. The character and charm of these older homes can be more appealing to a buyer. However, depending on the builder, new construction can be just as well built as these much older homes.

It also depends on where the home was built. If it was built on landfill/wetlands the structural integrity may be suspect. The best way to find these things out is to do some research of the area on which the home is built and work with a reputable realtor.

Home inspections should be conducted by reputable companies and experienced inspectors. Your inspector will know what to look for.
Contact me and I would be happy to help you with your home searching needs.

Gary R. DeFilippo, JD, CFPS
NYS Lic. Real Estate Sales Associate
Neuhaus Realty
718n 689-3850'
No matter the age of a property issues can and do arise; therefore hire a licensed engineer to conduct a thourough inspection before contract...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 15, 2013
As Joe has stated it depends on the builder. In my opinion the real old homes were built better then any homes today. If they were maintained and heat, electric and roofing were updated and it has the layout you are looking for I'd prefer an older home. In addition you do not have to pay transfer tax as you do with new contruction.
Hello Mickey, it depends on the specific builder, and the specific homes you would be comparing with each other. New homes do come with certain warranties against faulty workmanship, and/or structural defects. You should always conduct a pre-purchase home inspection utilizing a qualified inspector/engineer.

i can only give you my personal opinion from experience. I have represented many new construction homes in the past and required the buyers to bring in inspectors only to find there were issues.

My personal opinion is that as people are living in homes, they typically repair and maintaining.

If you are buying anything, get an inspection to be done by a certified inspection engineer.