Fred, Home Buyer in 95747

How do learn what mello-roos taxes are on any property in roseville, ca?

Asked by Fred, 95747 Sun Feb 26, 2012

Answers

4
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Tax/Taxes/TaxBillSearch.aspx
This is where you can research the mello roos tax information from Placer County Tax Assessor's website. You'll need the APN # (Assessor's Parcel #). The line items with MR at the end are the Mello Roos items
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012
Fred, the response you got from RJN is spot on re how to research these types of fees.....

As a rule of thumb, the older the neighborhood the less likely the subject property will have these fees...if the home is approaching 30-35 yrs of age, these fees will most likely be gone (paid off) if they existed in the first place...

BTW - certain areas in Lincoln (Lincoln Crossing comes to mind) have EXCEPTIONALLY high MR fees, could be $300 per month alone (not including your base property tax) on a given property....it pays to take the extra time to look them up!

Good luck, thanks for your question!

Best, Jeff Marr
Alpine Mortgage
You can look up the property taxes at http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Tax/Taxes/TaxBillSearch.aspx.

You'll need the parcel number of the house. I don't think Trulia includes this in the listing of the house, but other real estate sites do. Look for items with "MR" in them.

For example, picked totally at random: 514 Bridgeford Dr, Roseville, CA 95678. (I am not at all associated with this listing.) The parcel # of this property is 363-380-045. Plugging that into the website and clicking on the resulting link shows the property taxes. There's a relatively small Mello-Roos, "City of Rsvl N Ctr CFD#1 MR", at $794.46 per year.

Note that the Mello-Roos taxes are based on square footage, and don't go down if the appraised value drops.
I was looking at a home last week in The Club and was told that Mello Roos was $2,000.00 on top of taxes. What I don't know is if this fee varies by size of house or lot or sale price.
Vicki is right on here Deedee. My perspective is that with Mello Roos, you are helping finance new schools, roads and development which helps your community and you kind of get what you pay for so to speak. I think it is also wise to compare loan programs and also the relative price of utilities in areas of well. I.e. USDA is offered on all homes in Lincoln for example with 100% financing with very low MI. Since FHA recently increased Monthly payments on MI, selecting a USDA for example vs. a FHA in Lincoln would not only offset the MI but also offset a large portion of the Mello Roos or HOA fees of certain areas of Lincoln.
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012
Yes, Deedee, Mello Roos are usually associated with the square footage of the property, the higher the square feet, the higher the mello roos. You Realtor should always be able to provide you with this information for any property you're looking into.
Flag Fri Mar 16, 2012