Home Buying in Jersey City>Question Details

Tony Scal, Both Buyer and Seller in Jersey City, NJ

How do i submit listings for sale?

Asked by Tony Scal, Jersey City, NJ Wed Nov 21, 2012

Answers

10
Hi Tony, you can attempt to sell it on your own, but you might run into problems....It can sort of be compared to representing yourself in a legal matter. If you don't have the experience in dealing with the system it can become very frustrating and time consuming.

It's almost a guarantee that you will end up speaking to more brokers than buyers. The reason being, is when you advertise your property for sale by owner, Brokers/Agents will normally be the first to contact you because they are generally looking for listings and/or seeking properties for buyers.

In addition, Brokers/Agents have access to the MLS, which we all pay into, to broadcast property listings two other agents in the County, State and sometimes Nationally. When you advertise your property on your own, you have a select few sites and possibly a sign you would place on your property. So your pool of prospects is substantially limited in comparison to what Brokers/Agents have access to.

Then comes the leg work... While you're sitting in your desk at the office you will start receiving phone calls from people who, for example, may work the grave yard shift as a nurse and they can only see properties in the morning. So it become very difficult to schedule showings and forget about your weekends! So then you will have to wait to coordinate a time to meet with these people. But this is just one example...Anything can happen and believe me it always does!

The way I see it, having an agent will expose your property the greatest number of people and will give you freedom from what can often be a difficult path to navigate.

Your best bet would be to interview some agents and work with the one who makes you feel most comfortable.

Feel free to contact me if you're holding interviews! :)

Elizabeth Logan
Realtor Associate
Avalon Realty
321 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
917-392-0291 (cell)
201-604-2100 (office)
201-604-0110 (fax)
elizabethloganJCRealtor@gmail.com
http://elizabethloganjcrealtor.blogspot.com
HI TONY YOU NEED TO CALL A LOCAL BROKER WHO SPECIALIZES IN A COMMERCIAL OR RESIDENTIAL SALES TRANSACTION. THE AGENT MUST VIEW THE PROPERTY FIRST TO BE ABLE TO DO A CMA COMPARABLE MARKET ANALYSES)
Trulia is an agent only platform, all listings need to be listed through a broker.

Chris
Anthony, call me it's Grisell
Hi Tony - You can list your own house for sale. However, the only way your home will appear on the MLS is if it is listed with a licensed agency which is a member of the local MLS. The easiest way to do this is to find an agent you feel you can work with well and have them list the property for you.

A David said, below, there are agencies that will list your property for a flat fee and provide no services other than the listing. I have to agree with David that a For Sale by Owner does not have the same chance to sell as a property listed by a full service agency. The first reason is that owner's usually have an inflated idea of the value of the property and even though they are listed on the MLS, they do not attract qualified buyers because of they price does not compare with other comparable properties.

Usually a person working for you to sell the property will be able to see things at arm's length and provide you with better services in negotiating the contract price and moving through the bumps in the road that come up in any sale.

If you do move forward selling the property on your own, make sure you have a very well qualified and responsive attorney to help you through. The attorney's fees could be higher than in a standard realtor generated sale since the attorney has more to do if the buyer is representing him/herself.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more information.
You can list your own house for sale, there are a number of For Sale by Owner companies. You end up losing with them, but you can give it a try. You pay a flat fee (whether the house sells or not). Likely your house won't sell - 92% of all FSBO houses don't for many reasons (and 50% of those who do sell, sell for tens of thousands of dollars less than their brokered counterparts). The reason that agents are paid well (if and only if a house sells) is because they know what they're doing and their advice and connections are invaluable. Some rules to follow: you should not price your own house, you should not show your own house, you should get an unbiased set of eyes in to look at your place to gauge how it's appearance compares with other houses on the market, you should not develop your own negotiation strategy, you should not handle your own negotiations, you should not take your own pictures, provide a generous payout to brokers - 3%, know that the buyer is going to split the savings that you incur by listing yourself - you will not save all 2.5% of it, the buyer will be looking for half of it, and the buyer's agent knows you're saving money - they'll be looking to get that for their client. Follow those rules and you may become one of the 8% that do sell! In the event of failure, however, find an agent that works with buyers (they actually connect with people in the market).

Best of luck to you - I'm a realtor myself, but I would never list my own house - too close and I'll likely make a mistake. When I've listed property, I've had another agent do it for me - their lack of bias provides clarity that a homeowner just doesn't have.
Hello Tony. Consider consulting with an Agent who could assist you in the sale of your property.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
(631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
You have to be a licensed agent or broker to list your home here. Most listing are uploaded from local MLS and then agents can edit them here on the site if they choose to add or change info.
why cant i list my own house for sale?
YOU don't; your Listing Agent does.