Home Buying in San Mateo>Question Details

David, Both Buyer and Seller in Santa Clara County, CA

How do i find the listing agent's contact information?

Asked by David, Santa Clara County, CA Tue Mar 6, 2012

I've been looking at some properties on search sites like Redfin and noticed that there's always a name attached to a listing but no contact info for the listing agent. Googling the listing agent's name is a bit of a hit or miss; sometimes it'll turn up some contact info, sometimes there's nothing. Is there a reliable website where i can search for the agent's contact info? Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Ricardo Archila’s answer
The name attached to the listing isn't always the listing agent.

Assuming you have the Agents name, Agents city, or Agents BRE Lic #, you can search online on the California Bureau of Real Estate - Public License Information site.

Here is the direct link - http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp?start=1

Good Luck!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
Why don't all you agents shut up with your advice about hiring your own agent and answer answer the question.
5 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
The main service that real-estate agents provide is convenience. All of the services they offer, finding a real-estate attorney (which they are not), coordinating home viewings and so on can be done by any homeowner willing to put in the effort. The general requirements to be a REA is 1) 18 years of age, 2) Proof of Legal Presence in the US, and 3) Applicants must be honest and truthful (might as well leave the 3rd out, how do you prove or hold one accountable). A REA does have course requirements and must have successful completion of three college-level courses to qualify to the REA salesperson examination. So, after you meet the minimum requirements you take the test, hopefully pass it and then that person can be in charge of selling or buying a person's home, which is likely one of the largest financial assets you will ever purchase in your life.

Now that being said, I do believe those "low information" buyers/sellers who won't invest their time or do their home need to engage a licensed REA to assist with the purchase or sale of their home.

However, if you are of average intelligence and will invest the time and research you can handle this transaction on your own. I'm in the process of FSBO now and when I attend local open houses (doing my homework) I already have a better idea of what is for sale in my neighborhood then any real estate agent I've spoken with. I am also candid with the REA letting them know that I am paying a commission and so far I haven't had any issues. One last thing. Pay the $500 to $1,000 to have an attorney draft or review the purchase agreement and to complete the disclosure documents.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 22, 2014
first, I think it is a great idea to work with the listing agent since they don't have to split a commission they will work harder for you and the seller to make the deal go through. second: it is almost impossible to find the listing agent online since the big sites leading you to the agents that advertise with them. the easiest way to find the agent is to go to the property and look at the sign. I'm in Ohio and I found a house for sell but no sing on the front lawn so I'm lost.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 5, 2014
Try Realtor.com or if it gives you a company's name try calling the office
But you have to understand that the Listing Agent has an obligation to the seller in my opinion buyers need an agent who can commit to being their advocate in the negotiation process. But again it is your choice as I have seen many buyers who prefer working with the listing agents for various reasons but in this market I don't think it would work in the buyers best interest

Haneen Hayder
Coldwell Banker- Burlingame
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
Dear David,

The best way for you is to employ your own real estate agent who knows the market and can get information regarding a listing or even set up appointment to show you the house. This is to your benefit as your agent represent you only. Listing agents represent sellers so how can they also bargain for what is the best for you? If you need information on a particular listing, let me know. I am sure I can help you through the complicated house purchase procedures.

Suena Suen, CDPE, GRI
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012

You've already gotten info on how to find the listing agent, although the best way is probably to google the address, but you are better off having your own representation. Interview agents/brokers till you find one who is knowledgeable, experienced, has great negotiation skills,and has time for you. Then let them do the work on setting up appts. Using the listing agent as your rep is almost never a good idea.

Best Regards,

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Good Morning David,
Try looking up the agent at California's Dept. of Real Estate, here's the link.http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp

Web Reference: http://MKaprielian.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012

Honestly, your best bet is to find an agent you trust and get along with, then have him/her do that leg work for you. We have this info at our finger tips and we can find out a whole lot more at the same time. Having your own agent to perform as a buyers agent will cost you nothing, as they are paid by the sellers broker 99.9% of the time, and your agent is obligated by ethical standards and the licensing commission to do their best to advocate for your interests.

Plus, whether you have an agent or not, the sellers are going to pay the same commission that they negotiated with their agent when they listed their home. the only question once it's listed is, where is the commission going? If a listing agent also represents you, the buyer (which requires approval of both buyer and seller here in CA) the full commission goes to them. But, if you have your own agent, that is required to work on your behalf, the listing agent splits the commission with the buyers agent AND you have a professional working for you. So, why not take advantage of that free professional help, right?

Anyway, to answer your question, Redfin wants you to use their agents and other sites like Zillow and Trulia charge agents big money for privilege of have their name, contact info and branding on their websites.

If you need help digging up information on homes, I'd be happy to help here on the Peninsula. Just contact me through my profile.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
One problem with some internet sites is that agents can buy exposure, like here. An agent who pays big bucks can get their picture and name next to all listed homes in a certain area or zip code or town and they likely won't be the listing agent. Contacting any agent in the area of the home can usually get the answers you want to know, like number of bedrooms, size, age, etc. If you are looking for what the seller will accept or why are they selling or what did they pay for the house, then even finding the listing agent might not get those answered.

I have noticed that here on Trulia a property might have 3 agents listed next to it and there will often be one that says listing or listing agent next to one of them. This only works if the agent is registered here, if they aren't their contact info won't be available.

Try Realtor.com and see what it tells you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer