Home Buying in Oklahoma City>Question Details

J, Home Buyer in Oklahoma City, OK

How do I pick a buyer's agent in OKC and what do they actually do?

Asked by J, Oklahoma City, OK Wed Oct 16, 2013

I'd like to be a first time buyer early next year in OKC and I'm ready to find an agent. I have very few recommendations from friends so I need to expand my search. What is the best way to find an agent? And then, after I have found an agent, what is it that they actually do (another way to ask this would be - why do I need an agent instead of just checking online/open houses/arranging private showings on my own)? I'm sure there is more to it than I would imagine.

Answers

12
Karen Barton’s answer
Very good question! It looks like you have gotten some good answers. 95% of my business is from buyers. I would love to talk to you about purchasing a home. Please feel free to contact me at:

tillerybarton@yahoo.com
405-209-8243

Thank-you,

Karen Barton
Metro First Realty
A good buyers agent will find out what you want and need in a home and help you find your dream home. They will walk you through the whole process, help you find a lender and get preapproved, answer your questions, and help you get the best home you can afford. They will help you with inspections and point out any potential problems.

The best way to find one is to ask people you know for a referral. Looks like you've already tried this. Try reaching out on social media sites to ask for a referral. Pick out a few to interview in person or over the telephone. You want to make sure you get an experienced person that is responsive to your needs. If they don't call or email you back in a short time period, cross them off your list. The same applies to a lender. You need helpful/responsive people to help you.

Good luck. Call or email if you have questions.

Teri Reed - email@terireed.net or 405-417-1849
Hiring your own buyers agent gives you a knowledgeable expert in your corner. They will find the type of homes you are looking for, male appointments to show them to you, help you negotiate the right price when you find your home, make sure you get the inspections you need, be there for those inspections, and help you keep the deal together through closing. Best of all, you don't pay a penny! The seller pays realtors fees. Call or text me at 405-420-4518 and we can discuss your needs!
J,

Your questions have been mostly answered but my recommendation would be to reach out to your social media circle for referrals and then to look for someone who is very knowledgeable in the areas you are interested in.

It is also important, as a firs time buyer, to have a knowledgeable agent who can help you maximize your dollar. Depending where you are looking to purchase there are a couple of programs that can cut costs upfront by providing down payment assistance and even closing costs if you meet their income guidelines.

Additionally, I try to save money for my buyers by sending them to a lender who is a good match for them. I work with one lender who waives appraisal fees ($450ish) for my clients and another who offers free appraisals for certain employers. There are also other loan programs out there for different scenarios (VA/Rural/Native Americans) and not all lender offers the same programs or know where to find the extra money (like in the case of tribal grants).

I would be happy to discuss further if you are interested and check out my article on what to expect as a first time buyer.

Michelle Foy Belknap
Verbode. A Better Way to Real Estate.
michelle@buygreenokc.com
405-365-5320
Thank you for asking. This is a great question.
Buyer's agent represents the buyer and works for the benefit of the buyer. Buyer's agent helps him throughout the maze of home buying process. Finding the best lender, best metro area for you to live in, showing properties based on your needs, finding inspector for your new home, negotiating on the price, explaining contract and gathering all documents for smooth closing.
Most buyers start search on line, so feel free and do your research, visit an open hoses, have an open idea what is available.
You are in the right place for an agent hunt. Asking a questions will give you an idea who will be a good match for your needs.
If you think we could work together give me a call or text.

Honorata Gruzewski, Realtor
Crown Homes Realty
405 204 3935
Hi J:
You have a lot of good answers: One thing to remember if you go to an open house or go online to set your appointments most Realtors are working for the soul benefit of their seller: You may not get everything that you can get if you use another Realotr: Whether you contact me or another Realtor please do so, We actually do a lot, and during the process we look up homes for you and set them up for you to view: once we negotiate your deal and everything is consimated then we get your contract to your mortgage co, we get the contract to the tiltle co, we set up all inspections, make sure all repairs are done, then we set up closing for you: Also you do not pay our fees:

I would be glad to help you with your search, I have been a Realtor for over 10 years

Thank you
John Phillips
Re/Max Preferred Properties
405 413 0791
The picking question: Call the agents and hold phone interviews or google hangouts, review their recommendations, and make sure they know what they are doing.

The what do they actually do: They show you homes, comps, walk you through inspections, make sure the appraisal is squared away, the repairs and get you to closing happy as a honey bee, while they ensure the process goes smoothly from your prospective while managing the process on the back end with their critical eye.
Ask a close friend, neighbor or coworker to see if they had a positive experience and if they can recommend someone. Otherwise you can go online and do a little research on your own but I have to admit there are a lot of agents out there and all of them drooling to get your business making all the same promises.

An agent will sit down to discuss your needs. He or she will help you get qualified, talk about closing costs and down payment. They will search for your house, hopefully find many that you like and take you out to look them over. This will continue until you find the right one. Then, once the offer is accepted, they will help you with inspections, etc. to make sure the home you're buying is a good one but a really good agent will make sure it's a good home before you write an offer.

There are many things a good agent will help you with but the above cover many of the key items. I have a big book for buyers that I would love to send you if you want it without any obligation to use me. Buying a home should be a wonderful experience and should be an easy and stress free one as well.

I wish you the best of luck. You will see a lot of people here tell you they can help you. Do your research and ask your friends. You will probably have better success that way rather than here.

Russell Benson, REALTOR®
Prudential Alliance Realty
405.378.4442
rbenson@okcrealtors.com
This is a great question. There are several advantages to working with a buyer agent. Agents have a great knowledge of the community, schools, and quality neighborhoods. A buyers agent is also someone who will guide you through the process every step of the way. Buyer agents have your best interest in mind! Buyer agents can also help you find properties you may not find on your own. I would love to help you find your dream home in a no pressure environment. My name is Andrew Armstrong with Keller Williams Green Meadow and my phone number is 405-204-8215.
Hi J
A buyer's agent works for your benefit, not the sellers. If you chose to make an offer with the listing Realtor, they will work for the benefit of the sellers.
As a buying agent I will prepare a market analysis to find the true market value of the home. I will help with lender information, terms of the contract, home and termite inspections, and guide you through the process all the way to closing.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Ill be glad to help.

Bridgett Wells
Keller Williams Realty Elite
651-9320
Bridgettwells@kw.com
A buyer's agent can help you locate more specific homes meeting your individual needs, assist in making an offer based on neighborhood sales data, schedule and be there for inspections, stay on other parties involved making sure the process moves forward, and smooth out the closing process, thus saving you from all that work. Most buyers agents work for half of the listing commission. So, the buyer only pays for the house and any associated closing costs, and not for finding the house and getting it under contract. That's the quick answer, typed with thumbs, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to call me at 405-623-4646. I hope this little bit helps.
This is a great question and I'm so glad you asked!
There are many questions you should ask your potential real estate agent including whether or not they specialize in working with buyers or sellers. A good reason to have an agent working for you is that they will be working in your best interest, negotiating professionally for you and scheduling all appointments including inspections, etc. You could also ask for a list of vendors the agent typically works with and recommends. Many agents have worked with lots of vendors and have found through trial and error which ones are the "good" ones and which ones are just average. You may pay more for their preferred vendor, but it's because the agent has worked with them and knows they know what they are doing. You could always just check online/open houses, but the advantage of working with a buyers agent, is they typically do not have any agreement with the seller, and do not represent the seller at all. If you work directly with the selling agent, their first loyalty will always go with the seller, since they have an established relationship. I would love the opportunity to visit with you about the home buying process, and answer any questions you may have. Please contact me at (405) 250-8457