Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Alexanderquan, Home Owner in Portland, OR

How do I list my house for sale on this trulia website? I am not a realtor.

Asked by Alexanderquan, Portland, OR Wed Jun 12, 2013

Answers

5
Hi Alexander,

If you still have any problems listing the home on trulia please email or text me- but if you have made the decision to list your home for sale, you want to reach out to as many people within the first three weeks as possible.

At ReMax we use an internal system across our expansive network for new listings- because most agents have buyers waiting to find a new listing before it goes to market.

If you would like to chat more please let me know. I would be happy to drop off a checklist of common things to do that will help selling your home for top dollar- I give this to my clients and it has worked so far- no obligation of course.

Good luck with your listing!

Nicole Smith
ReMax Equity Group
503-741-9221
nicoles@equitygroup.com
Please excuse typing errors and a few their/there mistakes. I know the difference but when typing quickly sometimes the brain isnt in synch. And I cant find a way to edit things once they are posted.
Like they said. This is not shameless self promotion---its fact. I did a study of 50 for sale by owners as they appeared in newspapers and the internet. I called each and told them I wasnt trying to list and would they help me develop a pattern for an industry article, on which I was actually working.

I asked why they were selling on their own. The main answer was SAVE MONEY

I then asked if we could stay in touch throughout their process. I tracked what they did to try and sell, how many people were interested, how long it took if they did sell, how did the sale go, etc. Here are my results:

All tried internet FSBO sites and almost all did some form of regular paper advertising.
Almost all told me they received fewer replies than they were hoping for, except several smaller, lower priced homes that were swamped by calls from investors trying to steal them with cash.
More than 37 were frustrated and upset. 8 sellers were upside down on ther mortgages and were either priced too high or were trying their own short sale---saying they had spoken with their lender/s about doing so. 45 sellers were not correctly priced. They had used internet sittes such as Zillo, a few other form of internet recording info and what they had seen in their own areas or too far outside their areas to count. 3 houses were too low!

Over a six month period, here are the sales results: Only 13 OF 50 SOLD by owner or I should say went into contract and escrow.. Of the 13, only 4 actually closed escrow!! Why did the other 9 not close? Except for one buyer who couldnt sell their own home, the main reason was that the buyers hadnt been qualified, didnt know how much they could afford or know much about current loan rules, and couldnt get the financing after holding up the sdellers for weeks to months while trying. The sellers didnt know enough about contract law to protect themselves over this type of problem.

Here is an interesting fact. Of the original 50, two took their homes off the market and are going to wait. The remaining 35 listed with real estate companies. I looked toi see a pattern of who the most outstanding real estate company was. Was their a clear winner and why? This was shocking to me---there was no clear listing leader. People listed with many real estate companies. Since I had an ongoing relationship with all these people, I told them I was trying to become the best that I could be and asked them WHY they chose their real estate companies. Almost all told me that the listing went to the agent who was IN THIER FACE at the time they finally broke down and decided to list. It wasnt advertising. It wasnt market share. It wasnt being smooth talked by an agent or any companies reputation! When they finally gave up, the agent who was trying to get their business at the time got it handed to him/her on a gold platter. Now this is sad in a way. You would think people would do major research before hiring an agent!

Im telling you this for one reason. MOST for sale by owners either dont sell or run into problems. If they didnt I wouldnt have a job. Its not rocket science but not breaking rocks either. In trying to 'save' money, many of those in my study cost themselves a LOT by continuing to make payments on homes they wanted to leave. Not selling almost cost several new jobs they were taking out of the area. Im a consumer advocate and have a love/hate relationship with all 'sales' people including my own fellow real estate agents. I usually will not say anything like I have above because it sounds like snake oil to list your home. However, my study was real. I suggest you AT LEAST make some kind of deal to pay an experienced broker to help with contracts should you find a buyer. Have several do a study of your property and find out if its something that will sell well or will be hard given the current economy. (Thanks to our horrible communist President---did I say that out loud??)
. Final point is that almost all homes sell by the Multiple Listing Service. Plain fact.
Hi Alexander,
Thanks for your text. If you look at the top right of the Trulia site, you should see the "Submit a Listing" link. If you click on that, it should direct you to where you want to go.
Good luck on that. Connect with me if you have any other questions.

Kevin
You should be able to go onto the home page of Trulia and fill out the "For Sale" section.
This should post it out to the entire Trulia community. Similar to how Craigslist would work.

If you are doing it FSBO and want to take your home listing to the next level with a professional listing agent, may I recommend looking one of the most powerful home marketing programs in the industry.
http://innerportlandrealestate.com/powerful-marketing-for-yo…

I'm happy to help in any way I can.
Kevin Levy
M Realty
503-267-7535