Home Buying in Amherst>Question Details

Krishna Koth…, Home Buyer in Amherst, NY

How do I know which homes to avoid that may have the Amherst "sinking" problem?

Asked by Krishna Kothamasu, Amherst, NY Tue Oct 16, 2012

I've read a few articles where people have suggested calling the US Army Corp of Engineers at Amherst and they should be able to help me out but I am not sure which department I should call exactly or to ask for and what I need to say to get the info. I am looking for.

Help the community by answering this question:


There has been a problem with potentially sinking basements in the Amherst area. Any buyer purchasing in this area, should absolutely have a home inspection done. As an agent, I have shown many homes in the Amherst and East Amherst area, and have seen a few homes that had major foundation issues. It's not every home in the area, but unfortunately some have been built in area's that are no longer supporting the foundation. A Structural Engineer, might also be able to help evaluate the foundation of an home you may be interested in.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 7, 2013
You may want to call the Amherst Building Department for more information. The US Army Corp has information, but often it isn't detailed out to the level of detail you would be looking for. I would also suggest having a detailed inspection done to see if there are any signs of basement sinking/cracking that would suggest there was a problem. You may also be able to add additional coverage with an insurance rider to protect you above what homeowner's insurance provides. If this is a concern I would certainly encourage getting the appropriate legal/real estate/insurance provider representation to outline your rights/risks to make an effective decision for yourself.

I hope this helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
ultimately the only thing that is going to reveal the potential for future problems (or not) is to have core sampling done to determine soil stability. A reputable company with a qualified soil engineer will be able to tell you. This can cost anywhere from around $750 to $1500. The Town of Amherst has a list of firms that they work with.
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer