Micki, Home Buyer in Howard, WI

How do I know what bank owns the house I am interested in?

Asked by Micki, Howard, WI Tue Mar 3, 2009

The house is located in Acton, IN. The house is across from our friends house and we know no one has lived in it for a year now.

Answers

2
Even though no one has lived in it for a year, we can't assume its foreclosed on! First steps first, check with the assessor's office and find out who the owner is. Taking it a step further, I would check with the treasurer and see if any back taxes are owed, and who the tax bills are going to (along with an address). Also check with the sheriff's sales and see if the home is on the list to be auctioned that month or the annual treasurer's tax sale.
Signs this house is getting foreclosed on--->Has anyone stopped by to serve papers and leave them taped to the door? Tell-tale signs the home is getting foreclosed and will be on the market soon---do people drive by and take pictures and leave? Colorful stickers will be placed on windows and doors either proclaiming this house was found vacant or has been winterized.
Also remember, loans get sold back and forth so much, that it is hard to find out what bank owns the note. Most of the time, the mortgage is under a name of a company, trust, or asset management firm. It is very hard to deal with a "bank" directly on buying a home that has been foreclosed. Banks and asset management companies do not want to keep any homes longer than they have to. They want to liquidate and get rid of their newly acquired properties, too, so I am sure that if the home already went to sheriff's sale, it will be listed soon.
Hope this helps!
Lisa Woz
Moke Realty
(219) 662-3000
Web Reference: http://www.lisawoz.com
You should be able to get to your county recorder assessors page and see who owns the property. Sometimes it takes a whiie for the files to be updated. Just continue watching the accessors page and you should get results. Hope that helps.. Penny
Web Reference: http://Pennysproperties.com